Messages in this topic - RSS
3/13/2012 7:10:30 AM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Fibre Content: 50% New Wool/ 25% Alpaca/ 25% Viscose Rayon
Made In: Italy
Care: Hand Wash/ Dry Flat
Knit: 16 st/4 inches 5.0-5.5 mm (US 8-9)
Yardage: 78 m (85 yards)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
Price: US$2.98

Supple and softly draping, with the textural depth of tweed!

Standard price for this yarn is US$9.95 - elann.com discounted price saves you as much as 70%!

Unblocked & Blocked

This yarn isn’t in Ravelry’s database, but there are a couple Grignasco Yarns that have the same content, just different weights. This one Elann calls a chunky in their description for the pattern they’ve chosen to go along with this yarn, but it is really a heavy worsted or aran weight, by gauge and needle size.

I had no problems with the 4 plies splitting, since it has a somewhat tight twist and is along the lines of a felted tweed. It spit-spliced nicely. The frogging went smoothly and I could break it easily enough.

The fabric I got was smooth, with even stitches and definition and was dense enough for my tastes, though I did not hit gauge on the smaller needle size. I probably would have on the larger needle size.

No pills or even fuzzing up with the pill test and it is pretty soft, once you block it. Was on the “dry” side while knitting it, as most of these felted-type tweeds have been lately.

I like that the tweed is natural flecks; no weird primary color flecks that you scratch your head over wondering why. There aren’t lots of color choices, but I think this one is worth taking a risk on if there are any colors you like.

Notes:
- US 8 metal
- Unblocked gauge - 16s/3.5”, 7rpi
- Blocked gauge - 16s/3.75”, 6.5rpi (it grew width and height)
- Frogged well
- Spit-spliced beautifully
- Did not split
- Tighter twist, felted-type 4-ply
- Probably won’t pill
- Even stitches (would look great in cables!)
4/14/2012 2:38:11 PM
DreamingApe
DreamingApe
Posts 1
(This is my first post here)

Thank you for this review. I am wanting to purchase this as a substitute for Berroco tweed (angora allergy) but I was worried that there were no completed projects or reviews on Ravelry! And I was looking for stitch definition for cables (hoping to use the green for an Emerson Sweater). I would get closer to gauge with the Queensland Kathmandu which is soft and luscious but cables did not shine in larger pieces worked in this yarn in the examples I say on Ravelry.

So, again, thanks for this review. I'm going to take the chance (If I can get my money together before this yarn sells out).
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues, 3/13 - Grignasco Knits Tweed