HomeTechnique ChatHow to add length to completed sweater
Messages in this topic - RSS
12/19/2011 3:27:18 PM
patyama
patyama
Posts 3
Can anyone suggest the best way to add 3 inches to the length of my sweater? Since there is a 1" garter stitch band at the bottom do you think I could make a 3" band and join it? Or, I have read that one can unravel the bottom and then extend the length by knitting "top-down". Has anyone ever successfully done this?

Your input is appreciated.

Pat
12/20/2011 6:50:16 PM
Della
Della
Posts 152
If it's knit from the bottom up, you should be able to take off the cast-on row and just pick up and knit downward from there. Could even pick up without removing the cast-on, but that might make it a little tighter there. I'm pretty much a freestyle knitter though, so someone else might have more "professional" advice.. lol It would be much easier to pick up and knit down than to knit the band and sew it on.
12/21/2011 6:39:03 AM
patyama
patyama
Posts 3
Thanks for your feedback. I think I have found a solution - grafting! Since this sweater has a cable pattern just above the band I will be making a new bottom with a few inches of the design, remove the band on the finished part and try to "weave" the two pieces together. I'm not a seasoned knitter so this should be an interesting task.

Thanks again.
pages: 1
HomeTechnique ChatHow to add length to completed sweater