6/19/2011 2:48:36 PM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Elann.com Merino Sock Yarn Blank
75% superwash merino/25% nylon
Made in Peru
Machine wash cold, gentle/dry flat
Fingering weight - 28-30st/4inches 2.5-3.0mm (US1-2)
100g blank - 400m/436y
Standard Price: $17.95US/$17.23CA
Elann Price: $12.50US/$12.00CA (30% savings)

“Premium quality sock weight yarn, knit into ready-to-dye blanks!” (ummm..only one color! lol Each blank will knit one pair of socks)

ublocked and blocked

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep! I hadda! Love this yarn! Nice and springy, didn’t split at all. Knit it up on 1’s magic looped using Judy’s magic cast on, Socktopus’ shadow short rows for the heel and Jeny’s stretchy bind off on the 1x1 rib (following the Teeny Tiny Toe-Up Sock Ornament pattern). 22 stitches around. I machine washed and air dried to block as per label instructions. This yarn bounces back into shape great. The only thing I don’t know is how it takes color. I’ve never dyed anything (killed some things in my lifetime though!). I might have to get some koolaid and have a go.

I couldn’t break this yarn. The stitches are even and smooth, even if my short rows look a tad garpy (new word I just made up). It came out of the wash with just the slightest bit of fuzz, but wouldn’t obstruct any intricate stitches. It’s nice and soft, so I doubt anyone would complain of their feet itching, much less their neck, should this wonderful yarn be made into scarves or shawls or whatnot. I rubbed this little puppy together for a bit and it was just about as fuzzy as when it came out of the wash. I imagine that it might pill if worked at a looser gauge, but it is merino, people.

All in all, I really like this yarn. If you’re looking for a sock blank to try your hand at dying, this is the one. Merino - check. Nylon - check. Good price - check. Good yardage - check.

So who’s gonna give me a tutorial on dying? That, and I’ve always wanted to knit something straight from something that’s already knit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- US1 (2.5mm) metal
- 4 ply, tight twist with good bounce
- Couldn’t break
- Might pill at looser gauges
- Didn’t split
- Smooth, even stitches
- Preblock: 10spi/13rpi (gauge as given)
- Postblock: 9.5spi/13.5rpi
edited by duckbunni on 6/19/2011
6/19/2011 5:38:26 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
The sock blanks will dye very well with the Country Classic dyes which Elann stocks in 48 colours. Easy to use and you can mix more colours, overdye, etc. Blanks can be dyed in one colour, or painted with several colours, and steamed or baked in a casserole to set the colour.

If you feel it's all a little daunting, come to Salt Spring Island next June. By popular demand, we are going to dye again - sock blanks and a variety of yarns with Country Classics and with natural dye materials. Last time we used cochineal (yes, the dried bugs), madder, stinging nettles, turmeric, and black tea. I'm going to experiment with indigo between now and next June and some local native plants. In a week, we do a lot of dyeing and knit small projects.
Alice
6/19/2011 6:55:44 PM
duckbunni
duckbunni
Posts 67
Hi Alice!

Koolaid dying is very intriquing to me. I figure there has to be something good about koolaid in spite of all the stains my carpeting experienced when my kids were little! I'd love to try to get to your retreat next year. I've read about it. Saw Shui's post on Rav about her nettle bath.

Once I get settled in my own place again, I think I'm gonna dabble in some colors.

Linda
pages: 1
HomeProduct ChatTues. June 21 - Elann Merino Sock Yarn Blank