HomeTechnique ChatGrafting - Kitchener Stitch
Messages in this topic - RSS
4/16/2011 5:32:11 PM
dg.evans
dg.evans
Posts 1
I understand the principles of grafting. I've used this technique with socks in stocking stitch. However, the Esprit Chemo Turban has ambiguous directions for grafting 4x4 rib stitching that has completely baffled me! How does one "turn the work inside out" without interrupting the basic F:K(sl),P;B:P(sl),K pattern?

Any help with this is profoundly appreciated.

Donna
4/19/2011 12:41:31 PM
maggie
maggie
Posts 58
Hello Donna,

Thanks for your question regarding "grafting" with the Esprit Chemo Turban.

The pattern asks you to maintain rib pattern in grafting by treating each set of knit and purl stitches in the ribbing as a separate unit. i.e. purl stitches should always face purl stitches on inside, with knit stitches facing outward, toward you on the front needle and facing away from you on the back needle, ready to graft. When you turn the work inside out, after finishing each 4-stitch section of K stitches, the back needle will now be the front needle, and you already have yarn pulled through the first stitch on that needle.

You may find that the link we made available with the pattern may be useful for you. It's my interpretation that you should then go directly to Step 3 at this point, and follow along from there.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

All the best,
Maggie
7/12/2011 5:44:24 PM
lily
lily
Posts 3
I tend to do it the lazy way: I just reverse my sewing directions for the stitches that have to look knit (bumpy) when it's all done. I push the needle through the BACK of the leading stitch I'm working on the front needle (towards the front of the stitch, so the yarn comes out pointing at me). Then for the leading stitch on the back needle, I put my yarn through from front to back. It forms a set of knit stitches when it's all done, instead of the smooth-fronted ones you get with a purl. Then when I get back to the smooth-fronted part of my work, I go back to the 'correct' way. I could try to write it out in more detail if you think it will help.

Discovered this by mistake when I really didn't intend to put a row of bumps in the middle of my work, so I didn't see why I should waste the discovery later on.
pages: 1
HomeTechnique ChatGrafting - Kitchener Stitch