HomeGeneral ChatUpdate on Bets. More prayers.
Messages in this topic - RSS
11/16/2010 6:26:59 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Update on Bets Tuesday evening

Mark just called me and Bets had a good day today, the best day so far. She is still on the respirator but they did breathing trials and she was breathing on her own up to two hours at a time several times today. She had her eyes open for over a hour at a time and had them open when Mark got to the hospital this morning. She does not follow commands but her lips were dry and she bit her lower lip. Mark asked her if she could bite her lip again and she did. She followed him with her eyes and he said he can tell she wants to speak. She reached for his hand. These are all awesome signs because her permanent ability to see, hear and speak at all were greatly in question a day or two ago.Her vitals look good and her oxygen and CO2 levels are good. Her breath volume is good and he hopes she can come off the respirator tomorrow. After she is off the respirator, they will begin to do a full assessment, which can not be done right now. She has had no movement at all of her right arm but she does feel pain in her right leg and moves it when pain tested. She is continuing to move her left arm and leg.

The relief in Mark’s voice was palpable and I am so relieved that he saw so much to be hopeful about today. It’s still a long road but right now, it is so much more hopeful than last Wednesday and Thursday when her chances of survival looked so bad. I think Bets is surprising some folks, which is just as it should be. Mark said he was going to tell her she had to get well soon before a bunch of knitters came and carried off her yarn. I told him we would give her a couple of days more before we showed up and kicked her butt.

Mark thanked us again for all the prayers and thoughts, and we need to keep them going as much as ever.

I posted this over on ravelry as well and I'll continue to post here and there as I have more news. Mark said he would keep me updated in a day or two or as there are changes. He was not able to speak with the doctor today.
11/19/2010 10:27:20 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Update on Bets as of 11/19 Friday AM

Bets' brother posted on her Facebook wall this morning and said her fever from the infection broke yesterday, and she was off the vent and breathing on her own for most of the day yesterday. She was awake most of the afternoon. Mark is very encouraged by these developments, after her recent setback.

I will post again if I have more news, but if you are on FB, you may read updates there before I do since I don't have FB. Keep the thoughts and prayers going!
11/21/2010 4:53:04 AM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
benne wrote:
Enid, thank you so much for passing on the information to us. Thank God Bets was not home alone!

Libby called me a few minutes ago with the news and I am in shock that our Bets is going through this. I am on for blanket squares, just tell me what I need to do. I know how much my blanket that all of you made meant to me when I had surgery and all the other thoughts and prayers from all of you have carried me through a lot. It's my turn to help for Bets. She is always the first to get going for others, so now we can return the love.

Count me in for squares, too; I know I've not been here very often through the past few years and missed alot of these; Jean emailed me to tell me about this.... count me in for squares... HW?
11/22/2010 9:59:12 PM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
Hi MacChick,
I'm not sure if you're on Ravelry.com, but for simplicity, the Elann group on Rav has become Command Central for the blanket. Libby is organizing us and the yarn being used is Sonata, in two specific colours. You will want to catch Libby to find out what still has to be assigned.

Hope this helps...

Billie
11/23/2010 5:13:28 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Bets had a good day today. Mark just called me. He said he is looking at rehab facilities tomorrow so they can come up with a plan for Bets when she is ready for rehab. The neurosurgeon told him it is a long road ahead and he is hopeful that she will regain movement on her right side but there is no way of knowing how far back she came come or how much the brain will be able to rewire itself. Mark is already thinking about how he can help her get back to knitting.

They put a tracheotomy tube in and Mark said the trach is really helping her breathe more easily but she is still on the vent for a little longer. Her color is good and the procedure went off without a hitch. The doctor said she’s not quite ready to come off the vent completely yet. Mark also said the trach site looks like a somebody did it in the garage and the doc told him it wasn’t pretty but it works. I said that Bets and I would say they MacGyvered it. When he put chapstick on her, she pressed her lips together, doing what every woman who puts lipstick on does. She said "yes" to him very faintly when he asked her a question, so that's great news. She also puckered her lips up for a kiss when Mark left tonight.

He is looking forward to the blanket and is very happy that so many people are sending love and prayers and requested that we keep up what we are doing, we are making a difference for her, and for him. I assured Mark that we are with them for the long haul of recovery and rehab. He is really touched by all the love and support for Bets, and for him and the family.
11/24/2010 7:25:05 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
thank you, thank you Benne for posting. I keep checking in to see what is going on. I'm bummed she still needs the vent, but better to have her intellect than strength. The strength will come back. Being able to answer a question and kiss Mark is the best news we have had yet. She is still in there. Happy dance.
11/24/2010 8:58:24 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Benne dear, I ditto all the Daryl said. Thank you so much for relaying this information. I prayer for Betsy's recovery everyday and cry a little too. May she continue to slow progress. Jamie
11/29/2010 8:26:22 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
mousepotato wrote:
I have an update. Please if you could help me pass this along to all the other forums I would greatly greatly appreciate it.

She is in ICU, heavily sedated, and on a respirator. I was relieved to know that she was not alone when the stroke happened. She was at a meeting and they were able to call the ambulance right away and then airlife took her to a hospital in SA. It was due to a spike in her blood pressure, at the moment they are trying to manage it but are having difficulty getting it under control, which is the reason they have her heavily sedated.

Her husband is there with her and family.

Betsycandle2
11/29/2010 8:36:50 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
benne wrote:
Update on Bets Tuesday evening

Mark just called me and Bets had a good day today, the best day so far. She is still on the respirator but they did breathing trials and she was breathing on her own up to two hours at a time several times today. She had her eyes open for over a hour at a time and had them open when Mark got to the hospital this morning. She does not follow commands but her lips were dry and she bit her lower lip. Mark asked her if she could bite her lip again and she did. She followed him with her eyes and he said he can tell she wants to speak. She reached for his hand. These are all awesome signs because her permanent ability to see, hear and speak at all were greatly in question a day or two ago.Her vitals look good and her oxygen and CO2 levels are good. Her breath volume is good and he hopes she can come off the respirator tomorrow. After she is off the respirator, they will begin to do a full assessment, which can not be done right now. She has had no movement at all of her right arm but she does feel pain in her right leg and moves it when pain tested. She is continuing to move her left arm and leg.

The relief in Mark’s voice was palpable and I am so relieved that he saw so much to be hopeful about today. It’s still a long road but right now, it is so much more hopeful than last Wednesday and Thursday when her chances of survival looked so bad. I think Bets is surprising some folks, which is just as it should be. Mark said he was going to tell her she had to get well soon before a bunch of knitters came and carried off her yarn. I told him we would give her a couple of days more before we showed up and kicked her butt.

Mark thanked us again for all the prayers and thoughts, and we need to keep them going as much as ever.

I posted this over on ravelry as well and I'll continue to post here and there as I have more news. Mark said he would keep me updated in a day or two or as there are changes. He was not able to speak with the doctor today.

I am so sorry to hear this news about Bets. She is the ligtht of this forum and it warms my heart to see and read all the wonderful energy and prayers going out to her. I will certainly add my prayers to everyone here that she can recover from this awful stroke and that her recovery will be complete in time.

PatQOC
11/29/2010 12:04:55 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Friday Nov. 26th update

Enid (mousepotato) posted this in the elann chat group on ravelry. I hope it's okay to post it here too.

I don’t know if anyone has posted this, but they have moved Betsy to a rehabilitation center, about 5 minutes from the hospital says Mark. They moved the night before last and yesterday mark she was resting comfortably.

She is still in and ICU unit there but these people specialize in pulmonary rehabilitation.
He also said this place is very progressive. Before they moved her he went to take a tour of the place and he said they do a lot there for the patients including musical therapy, they had a lady playing the harp in the middle of this area where patients are able to enjoy and benefit from it. They also do pet therapy. They bring animals in, but Mark says that when she’s in a better place and is able to receive those kinds of visits he will be able to bring the dogs in, one at a time of course.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thom copied this from Betsy’s FB page for me to post. It's from Friday as well. It is encouraging to know she is well enough to leave the hospital.

Betsy was moved out of the hospital on Wednesday night into a convalescent care facility and is becoming more responsive everyday. It looks like she will be there for at least a month but it’s a very nice facility and much better than a hospital room. She will continue to be in intensive care just a little while longer …but the doc says she’ll be able to be upgraded shortly. A little bit more recovery time is needed and only time will get her there! She also needs some recovery time to get the vocal cords working again.

I'll post again if I have more news.
12/4/2010 9:08:42 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Bets Update Friday Night

Mark just called to give us an update. He said Bets is becoming more alert every day, staying awake and focused for longer periods of time. She was in a chair 4+ hours today. She is not able to maneuver herself at all and they put her on the tilt table again today. She responds to the nurses and smiles at them, and in typical Betsy fashion, throws her left leg over the bed rail and is getting frustrated with the tubes. She is still on oxygen, the lowest setting, in order to completely clear her lungs and throat. She is in respiratory ICU, can only have cards, no flowers or stuffed animals, but she is loving the cards. She will continue on the oxygen until next week, probably. Mark said they will not attempt speech therapy until after she is off oxygen. I am unsure of the exact status of the trach at that point. I don’t think it will be removed, as I understood Mark.

Bets opened her cards by herself today using one hand. If they are upside down, she turns them the right way. He showed her a picture of the dog in Halloween costume and she knew it was Sunny but indicated she didn’t know when she took it. She let Mark know she wants to eat real food and stop getting food through a tube, so that’s a good sign too. She has not begun occupational or rehabilitation therapy yet, she is not quite ready for that but that will happen at the next facility. Mark said he expects her to be where she is now for the next 3-4 weeks. It’s a long, long road ahead, and the medical staff are keeping Mark well informed of the process for Bets getting better.

I asked Mark what we could do for him and told him we were worried about him. He laughed and said he was fine, tired but fine. This was his first week back at work and friends were helping him both at work and home. His request was that we keep sending cards and pictures, no packages or visitors yet, and keep the prayers and good thoughts going.

I posted this update on the elann chat group on ravelry too so everyone will know the latest news. Mark said she is a little better every day, and that's the best news.
3/12/2011 10:37:27 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I just unwrapped the most beautiful blanket
Who do i thank
3/13/2011 10:51:57 AM
acb
acb
Posts 1465
Besty, Betsy, Betsy - I'm so thrilled you're home and so thrilled that you love your blanket. Its love is from all of us, and our wonderful Libby was the soul of its creation.
3/13/2011 4:39:07 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
bets wrote:
Who do i thank

Well, Hello!!! We've all been waiting for this moment!!!
So glad to know you are making such good progress - and you liked your blanket! Yeah! As Ann said, it is from all of us, but Libby did the planning and all the heavy lifting.

We look forward to hearing directly from you, when you feel up to it. We've missed you!

Many hugs!
3/13/2011 8:06:05 PM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
Whew...that was kinda scary. Don't do that again.
3/13/2011 8:36:05 PM
omaw-656643
omaw-656643
Posts 2
Soooooooo glad you are back home and well on your way to recovery....great to hear from you again
3/14/2011 8:54:37 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
bets wrote:
Who do i thank

Yayyy! BETs, now you are truly home! We all love you, and I agree, please dont do that again. We are so glad it arrived safely and with love.
3/14/2011 11:14:50 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
bets wrote:
Who do i thank

So happy to know you're home and that the blankie arrived. Libby organized the group effort, and we all knitted prayers and healing thoughts into every stitch.
3/14/2011 11:49:53 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Bets dear, So glad you are home and writing on this chat center. Welcome back home! We have missed you a LOT!
I'm delighted to know that the community blankie arrived so you can feel all those squares. We do love you!
Jamie
3/15/2011 12:04:26 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
bets wrote:
Who do i thank

Bets! YOU ARE BACK! YAY!!! I am so glad to see you here posting! You scared us all and we really don't want you to do that anymore, okay?!

I'm glad you like the blankie. Ann and all the rest of us knit love in every stitch. We wanted to wrap you up in the hugs of your friends.

Now that you're home I can start calling and sending all gag gifts,

Benne
pages: 1 2 3
HomeGeneral ChatUpdate on Bets. More prayers.