HomeGeneral ChatMid-Week Round Up
Messages in this topic - RSS
9/29/2010 12:09:21 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Thought this might help us all get the ball rolling again, if we can try to do it once a week! A bit like Bets' "What's on the needles?" but applied to life in general, LOL.

Things are going well here - the girls are 3.5 and 2.5, so still at home. I work from home while they're napping (and any other time I can grab). I used to work out (I've lost 15 lbs, woop-de-doo, but it's hard when you have PCOS so every little bit helps) and clean at nap times, but now I have fulfilled my lifelong dream and have a cleaning lady. And the kids have a tutor who comes for 3 hours on a Wed afternoon and does art, music, dance, etc with them - so that's why i have time to post right now, LOL.

What else has happened lately? Oh yes - I did my US driving test (I now hold UK and US licenses and can drive either side of the road, LOL) and we got a new minivan. Before i would kind of skulk around driving in the town - I'd been told I could drive on my UK license, but no one really had an answer, and if I wanted the car I had to walk up to DH's office (7 minute walk) and get it. Now I have my license and my van, and me and the girls are out and about everywhere!

I love, love, LOVE my job. I don't really have time for any non-work-related knits now, but that's a small trade-off. In some ways it's easier just to write the pattern yourself rather than driving yourself nutty endlessly tinkering with a pattern you've decide on doing. I'd never really thought of it that way before. The hard part is stopping working - I have a hard time switching off and have given myself eye strain with too much knitting and computer time. (I noticed it wasn't too bad at knitting group last night and they have very bright lights, so I'm assuming the ****e lighting in this house is not helping). Fingers crossed we'll be buying a house of our own in the next 6 months or so, and a must-have on our list is an office/studio for me (is it me, or are there angels singing???) and good light.

Anyway, that's all from me right now - please update us on your own happenings!

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
9/29/2010 2:03:32 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Stop the eyestrain! Get yourself an Ott light. They're on sale at JoAnns (dot com) from time to time, and with a 40% coupon, also available often, they're quite a reasonable price.

A 15lb weight loss is a lot, just wish I could drop a few myself. Maybe in 2011? Those extra couple of pounds just creep up and pretty soon I'm at a new size for pants. Drat!!

I've been knitting and even crocheting a lot all year, several of those little shawls this spring with the Picasso, some crocheted baby blankies and those pretty little cardi's that I posted to the Projects page, using my well-cured stash of Sonata. I love them, and they're getting lots of wear, just the thing to make a simple top and jeans or crops look pulled together. I have a pullover for DH OTN with the Camelino - that is SO yummy! - and I'm nearly done with a Featherweight Cardi in deep blue Baby Cash.

Holiday gifties are pretty much only hats for the six honorary GKs this Christmas, although I have a request for black scarves for my favorite cousin and his wife, and I've got some of the black Camelino enroute. I've never finished a project in black yarn, so this will be a visual challenge.

Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you!
9/30/2010 10:02:54 AM
naildoctors(KELLY)
naildoctors(KELLY)
Posts 7
Hi all, I am kelly, I am an Elann addict...lolWhaaaaa? I come on all the time and just rad, but was seeing how everyone said we need to start the ball rolling again and check in on whats n the needle. I hang out alot on ravelry elann group of course.

So, anyway, all is good here. I am excited cause I will be getting finally my first sample snips and sample yarns.

I am a newbie, did I mention that..lol

Ok on my needles, denise needles that is size 11 is another one of my Hardwood sweaters. I came to discover Elann when I found that gorgeous pattern, That is how I fell across elanns.

This is my second time knitting it, I did my first one last year when I learned to knit, Always been a crocheter, but I saw that pattern fell in love. Since that time, well, I taught myself to knit, I think I have almost every book that the best have wrote, Zimmerman Rhighetti, Budd, Walker and to mention my newest edition by Paula Ward.

My Passion is sweaters,,, I love Bulky Sweaters...

Well any who, that is me. I love Elann's and once again I am an Elann addict.
9/30/2010 10:32:18 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
I really went for the Coto-Merino Limited Edition which Ann highly recommended when she came and visited us at the June retreat. Bought 20 of the blue gaze and 5 of the clove for contrast. It's wonderful! I knitted a wrap from Jane Slicer-Smith's Drape pattern - actually a combination of several of her drapes. I'm now ready to knit the sleeves of a pullover to go under it. Mostly blue but with a panel of the clove up the front and highlights of clove rectangles up the back on the diagonal.
I've paused on it to knit the Hug(e) items - but what they are must be a surprise. What else? A partly knitted Estonian shawl in red lace-weight merino - fun to knit! Always socks for ferry knitting, but this years I'm well ahead on the ones for Christmas - no finishing up on Christmas Eve this year. I'm sure there's more 'on the go' but that's enough for now.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/30/2010 12:02:29 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I'm on a hat kick (imagine that) prompted by the Merino Bright that came up a few weeks ago. Talk about super easy-just a little bit of two color knitting in a solid contrast makes it look like I am a design genius. I strongly reccommend it for easy accessory knitting.

In addition, I took an entrelac class with Gwen Bortner this spring, and her new entrelac book is pretty good, and useful for all those pretty multi-colors Ann's had recently. It is easier (attention span wise) for me to work a few squares of entrelac than it is to work a row of lace (there are TWO nosy dogs around here!), and I appreciate Gwen's straightforward approach.

Annnnnnnd I am working on HUGe.
9/30/2010 12:19:58 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I got the merino Bright too Bets - thinking bias or modular Kindle covers for it! The repeats might be too long for it to work though. It was too gorgeous to pass up.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
10/1/2010 2:39:29 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
A long overdue hello and virtual hug to you all! Lots to add to the round up, but I am writing before heading to the airport.

In a knitting nut shell, I am working on two projects exclusively. One project that cannot be named is what I have devoted 100% of all knitting time to for the last few weeks. I am almost done and can see the blocking promise land. I am *so* behind on a baby sweater, and it's the perfect size to take on the plane this weekend. I have a list of to-knit a mile long, lots of incentive to knit on.

I am heading out of town to celebrate my 5th wedding anny! How did that happen? Doesn't it seem like yesterday you guys threw me that extra special wedding shower?!

10/1/2010 11:11:30 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Good to hear from you Bri. Have a great weekend! You really are going to make it up here sometime.
Alice
Salt Spring Island.
10/2/2010 6:25:10 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Five years? Holy cats, Bri! Tell the C we all said hi!
10/2/2010 7:00:09 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I can't believe it's been 5 years!! That went FAST!

--
10/4/2010 11:07:26 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
Wow, I knew it was coming up, but didn't really process that it was FIVE years. We have seen so much happen to/with each other in those five years. Eileen and Libby's little girls growing up blow me away almost as much as your milestone anniversary. I"m jealous of that studion for Eileen, but not as much as the fact that you still have so much time to scoop those wee ones up. Mine are both gone and I see little one's wherever I look. The oldest is a freshman at Stanford, no justification for warm woolies for that one, and the youngest is still at ballet school in DC. She doesn't want woolies either so it is primarily knitting for me now. Of course I am so trained to "get stuff done" that I can't sit down to an evening of knitting for me without pangs of guilt so I'm still wasting a lot of time instead of just relishing the change in life style. But when I get used to this....I have a LOT of white boxes to churn through, lots of "sweater's worth" of yarn in amounts too small for anyone left in our house, or colors they won't wear anymore - Hot pink. I'm hoping cropped sweaters stick around for awhile and planning on making acquaintance with kettle dyeing as it won't all fit in the crock pot. But this time around I'm not dyeing it until I'm ready to use it since by the time I get to it the color could be back in fashion...or appropriate for new small ones. Joke.
10/4/2010 2:14:25 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Time has flown by, indeed!
Daryl, when you come visit your Stanford girl maybe we could organize a west coast mini-reunion. I live 10 miles from Stanford, just down the road so to speak, and there are a few other "elannites" within driving distance. Do let us know when you come this way! And of course if you think your girl needs anything, keep me in mind.

Re woolies: it is much less cold here than in your neck of the woods, but one can get used to the milder temperatures pretty quickly, and soon find it "freezing" in the winter... Don't be surprised if she changes her mind at some point.
10/4/2010 9:04:11 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Marta, I was trying to talk her into going to Stitches.... Help me out.
10/5/2010 11:47:37 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
Bets and Marta that Stitches trip is looking better and better. Parents weekend is 2/25-26, which happens to be my birthday so it sure seems like destiny to me that I should head West. Surely they planned Stitches West to be near my birthday and Bets non-birthday weekend. Our trips West get crowded since my dad is in the area as are my darling SIL and her husband, but if I'm going to be there for a week... I might just have to get out of their space and tool around the area. It would be fun to meet up with more of my virtual friends.
10/5/2010 4:43:42 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Bets and Daryl, that sounds super! And there is enough time to plan a meeting.

Kelly, Marie, Melanie (memory failing me with names right now), who else is up to it?

Shui Kuen, is your niece still around? How about visiting her, too?
10/5/2010 10:33:15 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
So glad to have a what's in the wind thread going again at ELann. Time flies by so fast I don't know how to say what I've been doing for the last month. One thing in a lot of spinning. I have found some wonderful supplies of hand dyes roving and combed top on ETSY so my stash haw has a unspun section. After new year's a friend helped me to rearrange my very, very bit stash--wpinning, knitting and weaving supplies!! I didn't travel out of town by plane since June 2008. One five day trip to Taos for the Wool Festival in Octlber 2009. This October finds me in Hawaii with my DD and DGD and DGS. Taught by DGD ti knit last Saturday. She's 12 and has caught on fast. Too busy with school work to do much but I think she's on her way to a good knitter. My DGS worked on the Inkle loom today. He can do everything but warp the loom and I think that will be tomorrow's lesson. He's 10.
This is a moral booster trip. DDis having problems and need my support.
Other I'm knitting, weaving and spinning more the time when I'm home;
10/9/2010 8:48:47 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Yes, good to see some 'what's up" chat here again.
I've been combining my knitting time with some acrylic painting classes - fun, fun! Another way to play with colour. My niece had a baby in June so I made a bunch of things to send her. She just sent me some pics in a photo shoot of her 3 month old. She will grow into them. I will post.
In my ADD habit, I have many things on the needles from socks to sweaters. I have an order coming next week and hope to make vests for my daughters for christmas - can't remember the name of the yarn but there is a free pattern included. I need to whip up some more slippers for people who need a replacement.
We're empty nesters now and so I rescued a kitten a year ago. The very first I've ever had due to allergies. I'm not bothered so much now as my age advances!! She's very playful and keeps us laughing. Our 3 kids have all had the travel bug this year and I live vicariously through their adventures and work, knit and play with my paint!
10/9/2010 9:34:39 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Is she/it a 'knitting cat', Les? Now that we only have the elderly white one, I thought I didn't have to watch out. Then the other evening I realized that 'someone' was tugging backwards on my yarn. This is the cat who used to have the fetish for biting circular needle cables - hence the emery board which lives in my knitting gadget bag.
Hey, you need different knits for different occasions. Socks for the ferry, the Hug(e) items to finish up, an Estonian scarf in lace weight, The sleeves on the sweater to go under the cape/shawl thing that I knitted after I saw that jersey one at Jane Stafford's studio when we went in June, and I've started the Vivian Hoxboro shawl from the kit I bought at Beehive when I went ashore with the gang from the knitting cruise. There'd be much more if I dug a little deeper.
I'm practicing knitting backwards for the day of entrelac next June. I'm convincing myself that it'll be simpler that turning the knitting every little row. The instructions and diagrams in the book are for 'English' knitting, but I think I've got it figured out now. I'll have to work up to purling backwards. Then I must pick up some speed!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/9/2010 5:40:15 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Oh, Alice, she is very interested in my knitting. Loves the little balls I roll up from my Elann samples and will trot off with a mitten in her mouth to play. She loves to get on my lap while I knit but she likes to do the kneading thing and suck on my clothes. (lost her mom when very very young) so she is in the way. A ball of yarn is fair game for her - fortunately nothing has been destroyed yet.
How did your cape/shawl, a la the Jane Stafford studio sample turn out? Those were cool. I wonder if Suzanne has made one. She quite liked it too.
I am heading to Victoria in a couple of weeks with my sisters and my mom. Alas, I won't be able to throw in a visit as we will likely be visiting her two cousins and her brother and his wife. Staying at the Inn at Laurel Point - Mmmm!
Les
10/12/2010 5:16:55 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
When are you in Victoria, Les? Maybe we could meet for coffee. I'm there on the 21st as Christian and I are going to a UVic lecture. Staying at his place overnight, so meeting for breakfast on the 22nd would be an option too. Or a trip to Beehive - course that was expensive last time I was there (bought the Vivian Hoxboro kit.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1 2
HomeGeneral ChatMid-Week Round Up