HomeGeneral ChatCascade Pima Tencel
Messages in this topic - RSS
5/27/2010 6:16:26 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I am so tempted by this, but am put off by the instructions to hand wash. I have trouble believing that a cotton and tencel yarn cannot be machine washed - what do you think?

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
5/27/2010 8:30:15 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
I'm going to give it a try. I have a number of Adrienne Vittadini patterns that call for cotton/nylon at the same gauage. I would think you could machine wash this yarn on a delicate cycle and still be OK. Anyone out there have any experience with washing this yarn?
PatQOC
5/28/2010 7:30:55 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
I wash anything borderline, and lots and lots of dry clean only, on the handwash cycle of my washing machine. Hasn't let me down yet.
5/29/2010 4:34:42 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Amy,

Do you even put the wool stuff in the washer with success? (no felting that you don't want?)

Libs
5/29/2010 8:27:40 AM
acb
acb
Posts 1453
I do, Libs. This year, we moved into an apartment with a front-loading HE washer with a hand wash cycle that I now use for everything I used to hand wash - even wool sweaters.
5/29/2010 3:19:09 PM
barbara 097102
barbara 097102
Posts 13
I had a bit of a read about tencel through the link below. It claims that most Tencel fibre is "shrink resistant". Would it be worthwhile knitting a small square and putting it through a washing cycle to see how it performs. That way at least you wouldn't be wrecking a whole lovely new garment if it goes wrong.

http://eartheasy.com/wear_tencel.htm
5/30/2010 9:01:27 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
Thanks everyone for your comments and help. I have also had good success in handwashing on a gentle cycle of my washing machine. A local yarn producer I met at Maryland S&W told me that she hand washes sweaters in her machine and then skips to the spin cycle to get the excess water out. She said it is the aggitating that felts the wool not the spinning. But with this yarn I will try the gentle cycle.
Pat QOC
6/5/2010 3:16:02 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Anything to report yet, Pat?

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
6/6/2010 4:12:26 AM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
I would totally do the swatch test... make a wash cloth, so it's a good sized swatch. The warning could be about other issues, not shrinkage. It could be about shedding, stretching, pilling, dye, or nothing at all. I remember the Arucania Nature Cotton... and thinking "Oh, Hogwash! How can you have a cotton that you can't get wet?" I've been looking for a huge soft cotton like that ever since... but when they said not to get it wet, they were right... the dye was not overly stable. More often than not, when they say "Hand Wash Only," it turns out to survive the washing machine just beautifully, but every once in awhile, there's a real reason for the warning.
6/6/2010 8:24:38 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Oh yikes! Based on the Ravelry reviews, I think I'm going to skip it and go with Elann's Pegasus or Luna instead!

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/cascade-yarns-pima-tencel/comments
edited by ecasey on 6/6/2010

--
6/8/2010 7:16:39 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
Casey,

No news yet on the pima tencel. I have several UFO's that I need to finish before I start any new projects.

PatQOC
6/17/2010 11:38:09 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
Libby wrote:
Amy,

Do you even put the wool stuff in the washer with success? (no felting that you don't want?)

Libs

Sorry to be so long in responding.
I wash my handknits in the wash all the time. Never had a problem with felting. I now take the view if I think I can stand to lose it, I will wash it. Wool gabardine skirts, storebought wool sweaters, silk ties. The only problem with tailored, lined items is it is hard to press them so they look right.
pages: 1
HomeGeneral ChatCascade Pima Tencel