HomeProject ChatGrant Park Pullover
Messages in this topic - RSS
3/11/2010 10:47:40 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I sent this query to the designer, but I don;t know if she checks her Rav messages that often. So I was just wondering if anyone here happened to have done this sweater. It's in Twist Collective Spring 2009 issue.

link

Anyway, I’m doing the 4th size (48.5 inches), it's knitted in the round up to the armholes. I cast on the stipulated 258 sts and have done the band. However, when moving into the body section, I just can’t make the stitch count work. I have frogged and re-knit several times, to no avail.

When I think of it in basic terms, there is the k3p1 rib - always a block of 4sts and therefore always an even number. And then there is the diamond pattern section - always a multiple of 20 and therefore also always an even number. As you knit from the beginning of the round it is fine - the rib ends on a p1 so there is that necessary break between the knit sts of the rib and the knit sts of the diamond pattern.

And after the diamond pattern there is a p1 on the pattern - before going back to k3p1 rib - to make that break again between the pattern and rib sections.

So that extra P1 is throwing me off. And if I think logically about it, it would seem that the overall stitch count should be odd, because of the extra purl - but all the stitch counts are even on all sizes.

I don’t see anyone listing this problem or saying there is an error in the pattern, so I know it is something I am doing wrong and just not seeing - and for the life of me I can’t work out what it is.

I can’t wait to get this sorted out - it is a beautiful sweater and a clever design. Definitely the most wearable men’s sweater pattern I have seen in a long long time. In Elann Coto Canapone in Medici Purple it is stunning!

Eileen.

edited by ecasey on 3/11/2010

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
3/17/2010 12:08:59 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I got it worked out, in case anyone is interested.

I was following the pattern chart for the diamonds. The pattern in words has an extra purl st at the end of the chart, and when you insert that then everything is hunky dory - but it's just not there in the chart. Oh well!
Ton of Bricks

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
pages: 1
HomeProject ChatGrant Park Pullover