HomeTechnique ChatLove my Tweed but need to soften it........
Messages in this topic - RSS
3/4/2010 6:45:05 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
I have some Tweed in my stash - two sweater's worth! I love the look of tween knits, but due to it's dry and stiff-ish texture, my gauge is very loose and it just isn't pleasant in the hands. I want to skein it and wash it in hopes of softening it. I'm sure some of you have done this before. Should I add some hair conditioner after I soak it? Billie, I think you did this with one of your yarns.....
3/4/2010 7:55:31 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Les, I read somewhere that rinsing your swatch in vinegar/water really flattens the hair cuticle. Have you washed your swatch?
3/4/2010 8:06:43 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Hmmm, I think I did with eucalan - it softened somewhat but not dramatically. I should have frogged the swatch and tried knitting it again. It was a couple of years ago.
I do want it softer to knit with so that part is more enjoyable, rather than giving it a soak afterwards. Because it is stiff and dry, my gauge is so loose. I've gone down needle sizes, I don't want to have to go down further. Anyway, I am a lazy sort, so want to hear from someone who has tried, before I do it. ;-}
3/4/2010 9:09:07 PM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
Les, if you're thinking of the Ltd.Ed.Cash Tweed, before I knit it, I had washed it with Eucalan to get out the spinning oils. Or whatever it was that everyone was saying was in the yarn. It REALLY soften up nicely. But it was cashmere...it's destined to be soft!

Infusium hair conditioner is my other go to. A long soak has been known to soften things. (And when it doesn't, at least it leaves things smelling nice!)
3/5/2010 11:30:53 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Thanks, Billie.
I think I'll give it a go. I agree, yours was destined to be soft, this isn't but just a little softer will make it easier to knit. Will check out my collection of conditioners!
3/5/2010 7:53:33 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Les,
I know what you mean about traditional tweed being not the easiest to knit, and having to go down more than the usual in needle size to get gauge. That was what I was debating on whether to go for the Carloway again. Pros: beautiful coloration, will wear like iron. Cons: not the easiest to knit. The pros won! I didn't get much, so I'm not anticipating cabling, and I figure at 16 st/4" the knitting process will go quicker. Also, I am thinking with the first wash and subsequent washes, it will get fuzzier and softer, and plump out a bit. Without washing my 16st/4" swatch is a little gappy between the stitches.
3/6/2010 6:31:47 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Yes, the yarn doesn't want to wrap around and snug up to the needle does it.
pages: 1
HomeTechnique ChatLove my Tweed but need to soften it........