HomePrevious Website ChatRelaxing circular cables (cords)
Messages in this topic - RSS
2/26/2010 9:33:43 AM
I am having trouble with the cables on my circular needles being so stiff, I can`t knit with them. It is affecting my Inox, my Addi lace needles, and a couple of my Clover bamboo circulars. I was told to boil a pan of water and drop the entire needle in the water to relax the cords; I am afraid to do so! Please advise. (I do not use circular needles very often because of this.) My Denise interchangeables have a soft, pliable cord, but my yarn gets stuck on the join...
2/26/2010 12:22:56 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
I`m surprised the Addi lace needles are being stiff, but the Inox and Clover needles are a common problem. Boil a pan or bowl of water, then hold the ends of the needles and dip the cord only into the water. If they`re very stiff, you may have to do this in sections, but it also works if you coil the cord up. When the cord has softened, hold one point in each hand and hold the cord taut between them until it cools. This should help a lot. You may have to do it more than once.

I quit coiling up my circs for storage, which eliminates the problem. I use one of the Circular Solutions needle holders (a strip of cloth with narrow slots for putting in the circs). Google for it; if you sew you can make one very easily.
2/27/2010 4:54:50 AM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
I used to use that method, but I did not submerge the cords, just held them in the steam for awhile. Dry heat works, too.

I have since switched to Stitchberry needles. They have the flexible Denise-style tubing for cords, the join is smooth (over the needle, not jammed inside it) so stitches slide along quickly, the needles are Bamboo, so I can use sandpaper to get the exact type of tips I prefer (which is way more pointy than anything you can actually buy), the bamboo is a very light shade (so if I want to add a little wood stain to make one set darker for projects on 2 circs, it works beautifully), they come in all lengths (even 16", my personal favorite), and in sizes 0 to 15 for only 4 bucks each or 25 bucks for an entire set.

I loved my Noble ebony and rosewood circs, and won`t toss them out, but I can`t bear to deal with those cords. Steaming and "relaxing" them with a blow dryer or wrapping them in a heating pad... all of it was so frustrating... it never lasted for long.

The biggest drawback to the Stitchberry needles is that bamboo is apparently an instinctive dietary supplement for collie puppies. Who knew?
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatRelaxing circular cables (cords)