HomePrevious Website Chatblocking to a smaller size?
Messages in this topic - RSS
2/25/2010 6:49:32 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
In my student knitting group, one of my lovelies asked me how to block something smaller. It was something I`d not thought about, and my first instinct was to see what ya`ll would do. Elannites always know best...
2/25/2010 7:14:46 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Describe "smaller"? Like in kids clothes or garments? or like hats and mittens?

I do it just like everything else...give it a nice long bath, towel dry it, and pin it out... OR if I`m feeling lazy, I take my iron to it with lots of humidity (steam)....

Sometimes I like how the steam iron block turns out. I like it best for sweaters as it evens out the seams nicely... for lace I like to pin it out.

If its a dish cloth, I don`t even bother.

That`s my 2 cents....

Libs
2/25/2010 7:16:02 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
it just occured to me that she made the garment and its too big... does she want to know how to shrink it? If thats the case, it depends on the yarn....

Usually I`ll felt it very controlled and i`m checking it every 5 min....
2/25/2010 9:38:06 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
Yes, it`s knitting something too big that she wants less open and airy. I was thinking controlled felting but it`s open work. It`s one of those 5th Ave infinity scarves and I`ve not seen it, but I am told it is massive.

Thoughts? XO
2/25/2010 2:29:59 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Sometimes putting it in the dryer, or using a hair dryer on a low setting - very carefully - can help. Always check yarn care first, and watch very carefully - better yet, try it on a swatch first. Some yarns shrink slightly just in the process of drying, if not pinned stretched. The safest approach would be to experiment on a swatch, and see what works.

My two cents...
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website Chatblocking to a smaller size?