HomePrevious Website ChatThe Power of Swatching
Messages in this topic - RSS
2/23/2010 6:16:10 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
After all these years of knitting, I have finally learned the power of the swatch! Took me long enough huh?

I got out the Callista in ballet pink to make a ballet wrap for Karolyn and decided to swatch. Just so I can get a stitch and row count of course....I`m gonna "wing" the wrap. Well as I`m swatching I got to thinking that it would look really cute with a simple cable running up the edge of the wrap.... so I added a cable to the swatch.... Turns out I`m liking the cable edge but not the cable itself.... so back to the drawing board to fix it... getting out the edging book will help as well! LOL So I`m gonna be swatching again tonight!

Glad I FINALLY realized this now instead of AFTER I finished the wrap....

and I LOVE this yarn. I`m glad I got the 3 bags that I got!

Libby
2/23/2010 1:02:41 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Thanks for the lesson in How to Build a Pattern. Sounds like the wrap will be just lovely!

Here it`s Tuesday and I haven`t quite finished the body of my Knitting Olympics sweater yet; some stumbling around in the frog pond has been involved. But I`m thinking about adding the main motif of the sweater to the sleeves, instead of just stockinette. Am I nuts?? Yeah, but I know I have friends like you, Libby. ;)
2/23/2010 5:14:53 PM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Barbara,

I figure its your sweater so you go and add the motifs wherever it is you want them! No matter how many people think you are crazy...LOL

What pattern are you doing for the Knitting Olympics? I`m not participating myself but I did just finish 2 garments recently.... pictures to follow soon!
2/23/2010 5:34:43 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
It`s called Beagle, from Norah Gaughan`s Knitting Men booklet; link here: http://www.berroco.com/ng_men/ng_men_photoview_pv.html It`s a simple pullover with vertical texture and a double seed-st yoke. Check the 2010 Olympic Pullover in my Ravelry Projects page. DH is looking forward to it and has been very interested and cooperative about try-ons.
2/24/2010 2:38:47 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Very nice! I`m anxious to see it when its finished.
2/28/2010 6:54:41 AM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
By "wing it," do you mean you are making up the pattern itself? Or the embellishments? Are you planning a top-down or a bottom-up construction? are you doing it all in one piece or knitting sections and sewing them together afterwards? I am excited to hear more!

(If you are friends with steeking, you can knit ballet wraps totally in the round by putting steek sts down the front and increasing on both sides of them once every 4th row, then just cutting up the middle when you are done.)
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatThe Power of Swatching