2/6/2010 9:39:11 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
OK Ladies tell me about Callista. I know Chicky is raving about it. What else do I need to know? Do I NEED it? or just sort of need it? AND they have Ballet Pink. I`ll have to get a bag of that for certain.

Chicky I`m needing your help on this one.

Libs
2/6/2010 9:57:08 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Hi Libby, I knit the Luna Moth shall in Callista. It drapes nicely and is light weight. The ballet pink is very pale pink with a little shine. I`m looking at my sample card.
Too bad this yarn is not being ordered enough to merit keeping it in stock.
I think you`ll like it for children`s items.
Jamie
2/6/2010 3:58:06 PM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
tryin... posts not posting...
2/6/2010 4:13:57 PM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
The ballet pink is what I got before, and it`s a perfect match for Capezio (leotards and tights), a ballet pink that is halfway between Grishko`s shoes (which are always a tad too pale) and Grishko`s tights (which are always a tad too saturated). The color is PERFECT. And that`s hard to find in knitting yarn.

Fiber content is perfect for ballet accessories (sweaters, etc.), because as romantic and soft as mohair or angora may look, they are too hairy to be anything but miserable next to sweaty skin (oops... it`s ballet... I should`ve said dewey skin).

So if you`re thinking about it for future ballet clothing, you may not ever find a more perfect yarn. I originally bought it when DD was too young to actually sweat very much, so I was just picking it for the rarity of the color, mostly. I swatched it, but truly had not the time or peace to knit... however, neither of us could keep from touching that swatch more than any of the others...

So I recently got that yarn out and started a wrap sweater. As the sweater grows, I`m falling ever more hopelessly in love with this yarn!

It is not a cabled construction, so some will instantly think splitty, but it is not. At all.

Drapey. Just the right balance of linen and rayon to make it much more drapey than plain cotton of the same gauge. Not enough rayon to make it slippery AT ALL, but enough to reach out and catch the light when it moves. Not enough linen to make it stiff AT ALL, but enough to raise it up a notch from just cotton.

The more you touch it, the better it gets, softer, smoother, drapier. Ever own a "Life is Good" T-shirt? You know how they are weirdly better than regular T-shirts and just keep getting more better? Like a pair of old jeans? It`s similar to that, but more. More more better.

All I keep thinking when I knit it is that it really needs to be some kind of a lace top, something that flares at the bottom for swirl-factor, something to wear over a cami (let`s face it, a camisole does not look good by itself... it looks like you forgot to put on the outer layer... it looks like you need someone to knit you a lace top).

So I came here to get some in another color, and... wow... what a shock! I love Camilla and Sonata, which are the same gauge... this is like the dressy version of those... lotta drape, really soft, little bit of subtle shine, just beautiful.

Because it is not slippery or splitty, it`s really fast to knit and has great stitch definition, which you usually have to sacrifice when you get a yarn with rayon in it. (And did I mention that it`s soft? Because really, it`s hard to refrain from TOUCHING it all the time).
2/6/2010 4:22:07 PM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
The gauge is great for knitting fast, too, because knitting loosely or in lace stitches really brings out the drape in a cotton yarn, and this gauge is small enough to let you do that without having to use size 11 needles, but big enough so you aren`t fumbling around with gossamer strands of hair. Just really user friendly, which means you can fly along without tripping.

All the hours you put into knitting a garment are well worth it when the yarn is pretty and comfy, so that it looks great and gets worn all the time. This yarn gives you those factors, so I would say user friendly not just for the knitter, but for the wearer, too.

I, for one, am really sad to see it going away just when I`ve finally actually discovered it. It`s just the blend I`d been looking for... for so long... I was just too busy to give it a real trial when it first came out; I thought it would just always be there. But the amount of time I`d spent looking for a cotton that was special... had Rayon in it for a little shine and extra drape without being PITA slippery, had linen in it for the sheen and drape and wears soft over time factor without being stiff or splitty or hairy... all in that Sonata gauge and great stitch definition... AND in ballet pink, if at all possible. Well, I just spent years and never quite found IT. Here IT is, and it`s going away.

I don`t need more pink, but I might get that color anyway because it could be another decade or more before I find it in a yarn quite like this again. I love all of the other colors for various people. And every now and then, life calls on you to knit something in black... which I abhor because I can`t see what I`m knitting very well, but in THIS yarn, I would be able to, because the rayon provides enough contrast so you can actually SEE the different strands, so it would be wise to get the black for the next time I have to knit something in black... (if I don`t get the black, then the next time I have to knit in black, I will be sorely and sourly kicking myself for not having picked up a bag of Callista black).

So, we will see what colors are left by the time I can log on (lunch break), and whatever is left, it will be perfect for something, and I will not dilly-dally around wondering, I will just know this is yarn not to be missed.

Stuck on the proverbial desert island, I`d pack this yarn for that trip.

(And did I mention that I can`t stop TOUCHING the fabric it makes?)
2/6/2010 9:46:12 PM
ohsewcrafty
ohsewcrafty
Posts 3
I made the Uhura tank top with this yarn, in the Boysenberry color, which I just adore. It`s a deep, saturated fuschia, bright and cheerful yet sophisticated. The finished top shrunk when I washed it so I had to block it aggressively. Once it was dry, all was forgiven! The fabric is soft, cool, and drapey with a subtle shine, and the lace elements are well defined. I am very disappointed that this great yarn has been discontinued and I definitely plan to pick up a bag or two!
2/6/2010 10:33:00 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
I already have three bags of this yarn (still untouched), but you are making it sound like I`ll be very sorry if I don`t get more colors. Ouch!
2/6/2010 10:33:00 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
I already have three bags of this yarn (still untouched), but you are making it sound like I`ll be very sorry if I don`t get more colors. I need to run for the hills...:)
2/6/2010 10:37:11 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
That is a gorgeous color. You too are making it difficult to pass up this sale...
2/7/2010 6:26:04 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Chickie - best yarn review ever!

My just turned 3 year old is doing dance now (ballet and tap) and the studio is *cold*, so I`ll definitely be picking up some ballet pink. Her dancing has opened up a whole new world of knitting for me - ballet wraps, boleros, shrugs, legwarmers, hair bands, etc.

Thanks for telling us so much about this yarn!

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
2/7/2010 9:34:04 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Eileen,

we are in the same situation. I`m gonna have to get some ballet pink as well.

Libby
2/8/2010 9:07:05 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Ok, I got my colors. 2 bags of ballet pink, 1 bag of celestial blue and 1 bag of italian plum.....I`m looking forward to making ballet wraps for my little ballerinas!
2/8/2010 9:14:59 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Good shopping and good color selection! I got Ballet Pink for my DGD (something) and Cafe Creme for weaving. Happy Knitting, Jamie
2/8/2010 9:20:22 AM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1405
I caved and got a few (cough) bags. It`s going more slowly than I thought. I was even able to snag a Tarragon. I didn`t think I had a chance.
2/8/2010 9:45:23 AM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
If anyone changes their mind on ownership of the Peacock, LMK. I was asleep at the wheel this morning and missed my worm (after a weekend of making big plans for how sale savvy I was going to be this morning!)
2/17/2010 8:29:51 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
I got my Callista last night and its amazing!!! Chicky was absolutely right. And the ballet pink is an exact for the Capezio Pink!!! Very excited momma over here!
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website Chatcallista