1/13/2010 12:14:12 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
I hope Elann doesn`t mind this post. Please, if you can, give something to Doctors Without Borders http://tinyurl.com/ya3affx. They were already in place in Haiti before the earthquake, working with the needs of the Haitians. Apparently their hospital is severely damaged and some of their staff may be among the casualties.

As it happens, the son and daughter-in-law and kids of my DH`s oldest friend were on a plane yesterday, heading for Haiti where they were going to be helping to engineer better water systems. Thankfully, they were scheduled to stay overnight yesterday in Florida, so they will not be going on to Haiti right now.

Give if you can, to Doctors Without Borders or the Red Cross or whichever relief organization you prefer. DWB has the highest ratings as an efficient and effective organization, where contributions go to help others, not the CEO.
1/13/2010 3:27:53 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Do what you can, the suffering will go on for a very long time in such a poor country. Our Governor-General (the Queen`s representative) was originally from Haiti, many Haitians work in Quebec, the French language connection is strong with the only other French speakers in the Americas, so there`ll be much support from Canada, but we can`t do it alone. Maybe we should all start knitting blankets? or children`s clothes? for the long haul. Right away they`ll need money for food, water, and medical supplies.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/13/2010 5:24:31 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I made my donation through Catholic Relief Services, which like Doctors Without Borders, is also very highly rated as spending over 90% of donations on services and needs. The Red Cross is also very highly rated. Doctors Without Borders, Red Cross and Catholic Relief Service all have an existing relief structure and network in place in Haiti, which will really benefit immediate help. There is a list on msnbc.com which names all of the relief services already in place, some secular and some faith-based. I think this will be an effort with changing and long-term needs since Haiti was so impoverished to begin with. So sad.

Benne
1/13/2010 6:32:42 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
After I posted, I read a news update that said that Red Cross had already used all their on-island medical supplies. Lots of prayers are being made for the benefit of the Haitian people and the aid workers.
1/14/2010 3:21:37 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I often check out the USGS website to see where earthquakes are....and it is really weird to see them on the ATLANTIC side. It`s very common to see them on the Pacific!

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/
1/14/2010 7:30:07 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
We have a significant Haitian community here, too. In fact, many of my hardest working students over the last couple of years are members of that community. When I see them later today, I will ask them if they have other ideas for how we can help.

I am worried that many of them will not be able to mourn lost loved ones.
1/14/2010 10:28:02 AM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
What a tragedy! They do need all the help that can be sent their way. This morning`s WSJ reports that US special forces have reopened the airport and lots of flights carrying aid are going in. Just like in Kashmir, and after the tsunami in the Pacific, and... A prayer for them, too, and all the other volunteers.
1/14/2010 12:00:32 PM
my nephew and neice are adopting a Haitian boy - Cotter Franke. Thankfully he is ok and the orphanage as shook up but not damaged. So much suffering!
1/15/2010 9:48:07 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Laura, your nephew and niece must be so relieved that their soon-to-be son is safe and the other children and orphanage are okay. There is a family in Nashville that is adopting a little girl in Haiti and they had been unable to determine her status as of yesterday. All of Haiti is in my prayers and thoughts, it is overwhelming to think what people are going through there.

Benne
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatGive for Haiti