HomePrevious Website ChatEmoticons are driving me crazy!
Messages in this topic - RSS
1/9/2010 12:29:28 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
So, my old email program let me remove those pesky smiley faces. Then the company goes belly-up and I am forced to find another email program which my darling spouse picks out for me. It seems fine, works well, lets me remove emoticons and I`ve adjusted. Okay, cool. It turns out that there is some kind of bug or software fail or something wrong, because even though I have turned off those STUPID SMILEYS, they weren`t really turned off. As a consequence, I have been blitzing people with those stupid blinking things and didn`t know it! ARGH! I`ve googled, I`ve tinkered, I`ve done all the things it says to do to turn them off and they will NOT turn off. Stupid free email program, it`s hard to complain if it`s free but I am being reminded of Hal in "2001: A Space Odyssey." I swear, if my computer calls me Dave, I`m going to fire up the bulldozer and run over it.

This was intended to be an apology to all of my innocent stupid smiley victims but I think I crossed into the raving zone. I now need to remember what it is like to write well enough that I don`t have to worry about smileys conveying tone. This means I have to be more clever which could be a problem. Exponentially, my clever factor has gone down as the number of procedures and surgeries have increased, and we won`t even start on what happens when you factor in the age number.

If you are a helpless victim of me running amuck with those little yellow discs, please know I didn`t mean to send you something that looked like a preschool coloring sheet. I`ll try and do better.

Benne
1/9/2010 7:33:00 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
At least you are getting through to people, Benne. When my computer became sick in November, DH told the guru at the computer hospital on the big island that it was just fine to wipe my hard disk. Needless to say the much-touted computer back-up programme in which he had complete faith was very selective in what it actually saved. Fortunately, my thesis was finished. My address book was another matter - wiped clean, so all I have is the contacts on my laptop whilst I was in the wheelchair. Anyone who changed e-mail addi since late-summer 2008 is just out there floating somewhere in cyberspace far beyond the reach of my computer.
Does anyone have Lorraine H`s e-mail? Lorraine, if you are reading this, please contact me - you are one of the ones who completely disappeared. Others, contact me, I don`t want to lose you.

Don`t worry Benne, we can handle those funny faces.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/10/2010 10:17:02 AM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Pesky, stubborn things!!:)
Closer to home, I have given up on the little jingle - supposed to be cute, I guess - my new dishwasher does when it ends a cycle. After following the instructions to turn it off a zillion times, I contacted the company and was told it has to be turned off every single time the machine is started!!! I love the way it washes the dishes so well and in near complete silence, so I`ve been trying to ignore the silly sounds.
1/11/2010 8:57:17 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Benne, more to you twinkling faces. There is a virus going around that is adding those faces. It`s also sending spam messages through legitimate address books. It`s very methodical rather than random. I received a message yesterday with lots of smiley/twinkling things supposedly from my DSinL. Just not his type of message, so I phoned him. It was going through the As in his contacts, Alice, Andrew, Ariadne whom he had heard from. We both ran complete safety/anti-everything checks. You should probably do the same, just in case. Andrew, above, is in Texas so it`s all over.
Everyone, run complete scan if even one smiley face pops up. Better to be safe etc. Took about 3 hours for mine to run, but perfect excuse for knitting.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/11/2010 9:52:01 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Thanks, Alice, I`ll do that. I run my virus scan regularly and finally, after selecting plain text, I was able to hopefully disable those little blinking %&$#@%s.

Weird thing to make into a virus. People really have too much time on their hands.

Benne
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatEmoticons are driving me crazy!