HomePrevious Website ChatBird`s Nest Smoke Ring free pattern
Messages in this topic - RSS
1/4/2010 6:02:43 AM
Hi everyone.
I`m new here, but I`ve been knitting about 7 years now. However, I tend to avoid lace patterns. The Bird`s Nest looks simple enough, but I`ve stalled on Row 3.
Can anyone tell me it Row 3 has a mistake.
P2, k2tog, k1, yo, p1, yo, k1, ssk, p2.

It`s the yo, p1, yo, k1, that has me confused. If you do a yo before a purl, is it really a yo? And if you do a purl before a yo, how do you actually achieve a yo, especially when the next stitch is a knit?
Please help.
StickKnitter
1/4/2010 8:06:53 AM
suzeeq
suzeeq
Posts 112
To do a YO from a knit to purl, you bring the yarn to the front, all the way around the needle to the back and to the front again to purl. Then from a purl to a knit, just lay the yarn loosely over the top of the needle from front to back. They`ll be different sizes, but once you block the shawl, they even out. They even out a bit just knitting the next row.

sue
1/4/2010 9:26:10 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
It`s correct. You have a k2tog and an ssk in each repeat, so you need 2 x yo to keep the stitch count correct. It`s VERY important not to skip a yo. I usually put stitch markers between every repeat or every 2 repeats if they are short, in lace knitting. Then I find it easy to check the count.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/4/2010 1:12:35 PM
Thankyou Sue,
I started searching through books for the answer, and actually did find that my schooling in YO`s was lacking! Maybe I can knit more lace patterns with this new knowledge!
1/4/2010 1:22:41 PM
Alice,
Thankyou also for schooling me in YO`s. And that`s a great tip about the stitch markers.
Now that I`m thinking about it, the person who taught me to knit was always telling people NOT to ask her about lace knitting! She helped me a bit with a very, very simple lace pattern years ago. Maybe I`ll look for a class from someone who could teach me how to do more intricate work. I`ve been afraid of it, but I also love lace!
Karla
1/5/2010 4:06:09 PM
suzeeq
suzeeq
Posts 112
It`s fun, you get to make holes in your knitting on purpose!
sue
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatBird`s Nest Smoke Ring free pattern