12/19/2009 6:51:24 AM
Because this storm is probably going to make the news if it does not blow itself out harmlessly, and knowing how everyone looks after everyone else here, thought I would volunteer the info that

1. The oil truck delivered this week, so we should be warm

2. The city water works by gravity, not pumps, so we will have water

3. The electricity is underground, so we are more likely than the rest of Long Island to not have any outage. (The phone lines, however, are above ground, so I could end up losing internets but still be perfectly fine.)

and

4. I have enough legumes in the house to keep us fed for about a week, even if everything above fails and we have to melt snow on the outdoor grill.

So I am planning to just enjoy whatever weather we get. Gracie, are you far enough inland to avoid this?

Thanks in advance for all the worrying you would have done otherwise!

T
12/19/2009 7:06:02 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Can you believe that the year we move away they are talking about "the storm of the decade" for Long Island? And in fact we only had our first major snow last week - everyone up here is stumped because as far as they can remember there is always snow for Thanksgiving and it usually starts around halloween.

Hmpf.

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
12/19/2009 9:29:06 AM
needles54@optonline.net
needles54@optonline.net
Posts 43
not really although nothing is happening yet we are in the 12=19 inch swath, I ache so it must be coming
12/19/2009 11:20:19 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Thanks for the update, T. Worrying had started the minute I heard about this blizzard.

Now I can back off on it and re-focus on the very late prezzies that haven`t been sent and may not get to our family-by-love in NY State until mid-January, not only because they`re late leaving Burbank. I hope they`re as well prepared as you!
12/19/2009 12:13:53 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
The storm passed over us with heavy rain and winds. On the backside of the storm we are supposed to get snow. It has already snowed in the western part of the state. I doubt we will have any snow (famous last words) as the water in the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean is still pretty warmish. We shall see. All and all good knitting weather.
Nor`easters do more damage here then hurricanes. And this is the third one this year. We are about 20 inches over the annual rain total. Crazy people are buying out the grocery stores. You would think they were living in Long Island :-}

suzann soggy in Va Beach
12/19/2009 1:31:40 PM
Well, it is 4:27 and we`ve had a dusting but right now it has stopped. DH took the little one out to a B-day party and there are accidents all over, but having cleverly taken the van with the anti-lock brakes he is NOT among them, and they are happily playing at the bouncy thingy place.

His latest plan was to take the local roads home. Traffic was moving at about 3 miles per hour on the highway.
12/19/2009 2:41:58 PM
jeanflores
jeanflores
Posts 2658
Gotta say I don`t miss those storms. Remember the ice storm that kept us from visiting two years ago... or was it last year? I don`t remember, but I remember the sliding on the ice on the Parkway. lol
Hope it fizzles out for you T.
Peace,
Jean
12/19/2009 10:45:52 PM
LOL - I absolutely do! I am spoiled because DH generally does all the shoveling, and I hardly ever have to leave the house if I don`t want to. So I can enjoy the weather without really having to earn it, so to speak. The poor dog, however, is scared to go out and potty herself - I may have to carry her out in the morning!

It did start up again, and it is a very cold, dry snow, you can hear it hitting like little sand grains from time to time. It is blowing all over, including in through the little cracks around the air conditioners which of course we have not gotten all out of the windows. My men made it home quite safely, and I have four eight cup containers of homemade soup as well as about 20 cans of Progresso in the house - I am just kicking myself for not stocking up on really chewy whole wheat bread stuff to go with them. However, I am within walking distance of two supermarkets and an Indian place so I should be good as long as anything opens up, if I really want whole wheat. At any rate, we should be warm from the inside out with no problem!
12/20/2009 9:02:27 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
Hope you keep your power. All we got here was rain and wind, but enough of it that I can`t imagine how much snow it will make when it hits the cold.
12/20/2009 9:03:22 AM
Stay warm and safe. Good to hear you`re prepared. Internet going down just means you`ll have more time to concentrate on writing or knitting.

-Marie
12/20/2009 9:16:29 AM
Thanks, everyone! Anyone else snowed under? We are here with over a foot of snow - I am not at the end of the Island that got 27 inches and still snowing...

The neighbor very kindly did our walk, our sidewalk, and the end of our driveway with his snow blower, saving my husband who knows how many hours of really heavy shoveling, bless his (the neighbor`s) little heart. He did it wearing his teamster`s cap and I have to say I have never felt kinder towards organized labor than I do right at this instant. :-)

Grace, Suzanne, anyone else get caught up in this!

T
12/20/2009 10:13:23 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Just talked to our daughter-by-love who is in Portsmouth, RI. They`re snowed in but fully provisioned and the kids are having a ball playing in the snow. She said there`s at least 5 Barbara-presents being worn today - hats and scarves I`ve made them in the past, including the seaman`s scarf I designed for her DH 5 years ago. I feel like I got the best prezzie ever!
12/20/2009 12:24:48 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
A friend called this morning from Bethesda, MD (just outside NW Washington. They have 24" snow and she says it`s beautiful (if you don`t try driving). Her husband insisted on going out and got the car stuck right away - didn`t stop him, he continued on.
We still have snow in some spots, but clear sidewalks and roads; just have to be careful with patches of ice that seem to last until spring. It`s sunny and warm here today.
Jamie
Jamie
12/20/2009 8:59:47 PM
birdlady
birdlady
Posts 1442
we got 22 inches here in the mountains of Virginia. It`s a good thing that I had no plans on going out this weekend.

D.
12/20/2009 9:57:48 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
Were as in Coastal Virginia we could count the flakes. Just a dusting is all. Keep warm all you snow babies.
It is bitter cold with a hard north wind blowing.

suzann
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatWeather report