HomePrevious Website ChatOT-does anyone here own a Kindle?
Messages in this topic - RSS
12/16/2009 2:10:07 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
And what do you think of it??
12/16/2009 2:32:16 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
No, but there`s a lot of chat on Ravelry about them. Don`t know if there`s a specific group, but there`s been discussion on the Audiobook Knitters and 52 Books in 52 Weeks forums. Some likes, some dislikes, many loves.
12/16/2009 3:39:23 PM
Have you asked Joan? I think she owns one.

-Marie
12/16/2009 3:51:02 PM
I thought you asked if anyone owned a girdle... think I need to get my eyes checked...
12/16/2009 5:13:04 PM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
DH Claus tells me there`s one for me in his sleigh to arrive in the next couple of days. Next week, I`ll be able to tell you more.
12/17/2009 7:08:01 AM
jeanflores
jeanflores
Posts 2658
Yep and I love it so much I bought Dan one for Christmas. The great thing for us is that we read the same book sometimes (our own little book club) and we only have to buy it once now.
If you`re a heavy reader, you`ll love it. There are even tons of books that you can download for free. If you go to Amazon and click on Kindle and then bestsellers for Kindle, most of them are the free ones for that month. Lots of classics are free as well.
I thought it would bother me to not have the actual book in my hand, but it doesn`t. In fact I love how small and light it is. Especially if I was reading a hardcover.
Now. I will say... if you want to read an older paperback book that was mass published... sometimes it`s cheaper to just buy the paperback.
My favorite feature is that you can download the first chapter of any Kindle book to see if you like it before you buy it.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
Jean
12/17/2009 7:40:12 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
Too cool, Jean. I am really excited for that sleigh to arrive now!
12/17/2009 10:40:12 AM
jeanflores
jeanflores
Posts 2658
I`m not kidding Bri. It`s my most favorite thing I`ve gotten this entire year.. well.. besides my house, lol.
You`ll get addicted on Amazon searching for new books. I`m reading Little Women again and have Anna Karinina to read again and I`ve read a few books that came out this year.
The battery lasts forever if you take it off of online mode. Seriously, like six days or something.... Even on online mode it lasts a few days. Can`t wait to hear what you think of it.
There`s a very cool kindle cover you can sew. I made one for Dan in Aggie fabric the other day:
http://www.chicaandjo.com/2009/09/03/make-a-custom-kindle-cover-case/

Peace,
Jean
12/17/2009 11:21:16 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
I love the cover project, Jean. Thanks so much for sharing it with me. I am going to make an alma mater one for me.

You should see me plowing through all my physical books. It is sick. I`d ordered more books the day I learned that Kindle was coming. I have company coming. Maybe I should start looking for Kindle books now...maybe I already have...:)
12/17/2009 8:11:27 PM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
I have one, the original edition. I LOVE mine. I love it for books and I really love it because every morning when I wake up my Wall Street Journal is there. I can`t imagine using it for knitting books or cook books but as for reading, I prefer it hands down to "real books" for two reasons. First it fits in my purse so I am never without something to read and secondly it is so easy to read and knit since it stays open. Since I read a lot of historical fiction it is great to be able to look things up in wikipedia as I read. Older titles are dirt cheap or free and there are at least two versions of the Bible that are free so it is nice to have that handy too. Highly recommend for any reader.
12/18/2009 8:28:21 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
DH is getting me one for Christmas and I`m really looking forward to it!

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
12/18/2009 11:29:41 AM
jeanflores
jeanflores
Posts 2658
I downloaded the free "Not your Mother`s Slow Cooker" cookbook and used it this morning to make a HUGE batch of mashed potatoes for Dan`s office party.
Who knew?!~ lol.
12/18/2009 4:14:47 PM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
So you like it as a cook book?
12/18/2009 5:32:19 PM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
OMG. My kindle is here, and I am a downloading first chapter fool. I am going to try the slow cooker cook book too and see how it is to cook from it...
12/19/2009 6:36:50 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
Give me a report on how it works as a cook book. I am such a messy cook I am afraid I would get "stuff" all over mine. But I do have the "beach cover" that could protect it in the kitchen. . . . . . . .
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatOT-does anyone here own a Kindle?