HomePrevious Website ChatHW Shrinkage When Felting
Messages in this topic - RSS
12/13/2009 10:20:32 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
*Of course* I never kept a note of the percentage that HW shrank any time I`ve felted it.

Now I`m doing personalised Christmas stockings and charting the lettering. The graph paper is to gauge (not square) so I don`t need to allow for that - but I need to elongate the letters so they don`t look squat.

I`m about to do a practice swatch, but I`d like it to at least be in the ballpark. I`m allowing for 20% shrinkage in length and minimal (3-5%) in width. Sound good?

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
12/13/2009 10:23:45 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Sounds good to me. I think that is what i remember getting however I too forgot to write down the shrinkage.
12/13/2009 2:01:44 PM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
Funny you should mention this. I felted some HW today. It definitely shrank a lot in length and not as much in the width, but I didn`t write down the before and after specs.

We should have a parade of felted HW projects when they are finished!
12/13/2009 2:58:44 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I`d guess closer to 30% in length, E. Depends on how closely you watch it, I guess.
12/15/2009 8:36:29 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
You called it Betsy!

Swatch shrank not much at all in width (from 10" to 9.5") but in length went from 6" to 4" = 33%! And that was using one of the white shades.

The letters as I had them turned out pretty well - look blockier than I`d prefer in the shrinking but not too bad. The only thing that didn`t like out is the "i" - because it shrank more than I thought it would there is hardly any space between the body of the "i" and the tittle (which I learned on a cereal box 5 years ago is the name of the dot). So I have to leave a bigger gap - glad I actually bothered swatching instead of just jumping in.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatHW Shrinkage When Felting