11/30/2009 8:57:27 PM
I made 50,000 words again, so I am happy. But the story is not yet finished...

T
12/1/2009 4:36:51 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
That`s awesome. I hope that you`re able to find time to finish the story.
12/1/2009 5:42:20 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
That is amazing! so how does this work? Does it have to be finished?
12/1/2009 8:04:28 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
COngratulations on your perserverance! And the same question, will you find time to finish it in the next months? All the best.
Jamie
12/1/2009 8:18:59 AM
Thanks, folks!

The way NaNo works is this - based on the idea that a lot of people want to write a book but never do, so you just go and sign up at the website, and in teh month of November you try to write your 50,000 word novel. It is ok if it is terrible, because you have December to edit, right? The idea is that you just get it down.

Everyone who writes 50,000 words on their novel "wins," no matter how bad it may be. The idea is, you didn`t censor yourself, you didn`t let BS stop you, you just DID IT.

I first heard about this in a BJ`s circular the summer after the young one was born, and I did it that year, writing a book for the older one. I`ve done it every year since, and what I now have are four interconnected first drafts of books. The last two are stories that are longer than 50,000wors to tell and are not finished. The second two are finished in terms of my having gotten to the end of the plot, but need filling in. (50,000 words is about one thin Harlequin Novel`s worth of pages.

This book sort of completes a set of three, and I really want to try to get these published. I have friends who have books out and would like to join them. So I do want to finish this story, and then start editing them, so I can submit them somewhere.

There is a longer food chain of published novels than there used to be, since E-publishing came along. I figure I will start at the top and work my way down and somewhere along the line I may get a bite. It is very scary, though...

T
12/1/2009 9:26:05 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
The crowd here is going wild! Congratulations - it`s a huge accomplishment.
12/1/2009 9:36:21 AM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Congratulations!! And do plunge into publishing - you already have an applauding audience...:)
12/1/2009 10:28:11 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Thanks for the explanation, T. Best of luck editing and getting that bite!
12/1/2009 1:13:25 PM
Congrats!

We have Shut Up and Write in San Francisco (http://www.meetup.com/shutupandwrite/) where writers get together and just focus on writing. They meet year round. I wonder if you have something like this in your neck of the woods.

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
12/2/2009 6:24:56 PM
WE have write-ins, but I have never heard of Shut up and write...although here in my house it is more like "Shut up and LET me write, lol. Thanks for letting me know about it. I will check it out!
12/2/2009 6:44:21 PM
WE have write-ins, but I have never heard of Shut up and write...although here in my house it is more like "Shut up and LET me write, lol. Thanks for letting me know about it. I will check it out!
pages: 1