11/26/2003 9:00:19 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Hi knitters!

It`s time to get in gear---geez I have a lot to finish up in the next 30 days! I am thankful I have y`all to talk to about my obsession/hobby, thankful I have plenty of supplies, imagination, family, and friends I must sling some string for! If I could just clone myself!

Best regards to everyone, please be safe, and don`t let your family get out of doing the dishes tomorrow! Hug someone. Enjoy pie without making excuses about the size of some stupid body part. Laugh til the latte foams out of the sides of your mouth. If you are in a dysfunctional group (and if you are, I empathize) just practice mimicking them all the way home...they earned it.

Love y`all!
B
11/26/2003 10:45:19 PM
Bets, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy looking at the photos of your very good work. You have a very fortunate, and goodlooking family. I know they appreciate you and what you do for them. Take care.

Gregg
10/9/2006 5:43:59 AM
So much to be grateful for!
10/9/2006 5:56:14 AM
grace
grace
Posts 786
yes a Happy Thanksgiving For those of us in the states please tell us about a Canadian Thanksgiving!
10/9/2006 6:21:53 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Absolutely!

Bets
10/9/2006 6:41:19 AM
Well, having lived in the US for 4 years I can say that is isn`t as big a thing here-- we generally don`t decorate, etc. We eat extremely well, we all try to make sure that the food banks in the cities are topped up so that EVERYONE eats well. You get as much of your family together as you can. People all seem to cook Turkey, which is kind of strange, when you think about it, cause Turkey is the big Christmas item, too. I mean really how much turkey can one eat ?? ( i don`t eat any since we are veggies, but -- )
Hopefully everyone remebembers to be very grateful for all that we have. Rich or not so rich, it is a pretty good place to live.

Personally, I am packing like crazy. I am guessing that dinner will be takeout. How can two grown people have logjammed a big three bedroom house so badly!!??
It used to be agents would come to the door wanting to list the house, and I would say, "Nope, I plan to die here"
Now that I am sorting and packing that seems like a really fine idea!!
10/9/2006 10:45:15 AM
thechartreuseshepherd
thechartreuseshepherd
Posts 1913
Happy Thanksgiving!!! I think that the US needs to change our Thanksgiving date to the Canadian date... I hate to do anything `Christmas` till after Thanksgiving..... but it always seems like there isn`t enough time to get things ready for Christmas!
10/9/2006 12:00:10 PM
Karin
Karin
Posts 343
Natural decorations - leaf wreaths, cornstalk and aster floral arrangements; apple, raisin and pipecleaner turkey place holders (made by the kidlets) at the table. Turkey (ham), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (yams), squash, carrots, turnips, brussels sprouts, pickled beets, gravy, bread stuffing, cranberry sauce, Sister`s sweet rolls and butter, Mum`s pumpkin pie with whipped cream, BIL`s apple pie with old cheese. As much family together as possible, kids home from College and University, a little wine, a little beer, usually a football game, calls to the Out-Of-Towners, a Thanksgiving grace and lot`s of fun :)
10/9/2006 1:58:33 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Brussel Sprouts....the bane of the British Empire. Gar. My father loves them and I choked them down, because we had to have them often, and still do at every family event. I have them every five years or so to make sure I still hate them. You never know about things like that.

I was really excited when I went to a friends and she was fixing collard greens, which I had never tried. I was SOOO disappointed when I realized they smelled exactly like brussel sprouts.

Everything else sounds great, and comparable to our Thanksgiving. Add a few different pies and casseroles, and that pretty much covers it on both sides of the border. Only nowdays, frying the turkey is a big deal here. I am terrified of frying a turkey. That`s a lot of hot oil.

B
10/9/2006 2:18:33 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Frying a turkey just seems wrong.

We discovered Cookin` Bags years and years ago, and our turkey always comes out perfect. I think they`re a Reynolds Wrap product. You put the turkey in this cellophane sort of bag, put that on a rack in the roasting pan, and presto! No mess all over the oven. No basting. We can cook a 14lb bird in less than 3 hours. We have cauliflower-broccoli salad, Grandma`s boiled-cranberry and fruit relish, sweet potatoes, etc. Ham is for Christmas.
10/9/2006 3:55:16 PM
I LOVE brussel sprouts!! Especially with whole chestnuts added in. I could live on them!
10/9/2006 5:48:47 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Would you like mine? For the rest of my life?

Hey, I have a question about whole chestnuts too-how would you describe their flavor? I had them once, roasted, YEARS ago, and they reminded me of boiled potatoes. Then I found a wormy one and it was all over....!

;-)
10/9/2006 7:19:59 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Ahh, Thanksgiving - my favorite holiday! Lots of family, some strays who can`t get home, always turkey, always pumpkin pie. Good wines, new beers. Walks in the fresh air to make room for another meal. AND usually a very competitive game of Charades after dinner. (to save the time we`ve been playing charades with the pictionary board and clues from pictionary but with acting, not drawing. Last night we went around the board twice.)
Les
11/26/2009 9:41:39 AM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Hope you all have a great day, with family if possible!
11/26/2009 9:44:04 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Thanks, Marta. Hope your children are close by. Mine are far away but I have two invitations so I`m happy! Enjoy the weekend.
Jamie
11/26/2009 10:25:54 AM
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
11/26/2009 12:09:13 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
May you all have a happy day and good food!
11/26/2009 3:35:48 PM
MacChick
MacChick
Posts 3590
We are having the first Thanksgiving, together as a family, on the actual Thanksgiving Day, that we`ve been able to have since moving from California in 2007. I am SO thankful! We have no heat, because the fireplace cracked and the heater died, but the oven still works, and I am heating the house with cooking smells and loving that we have everyone together and all the little things that are just the "stuff of life" are fixable. My Mom is o.k., my sister is o.k., and my DH missed being in the wrong place at the wrong time at Ft. Hood by only 20 minutes that day... and sometimes you just know that "There but for the grace of God..." means all those near-misses are the do-overs you would have given your life to have, and this is like having them all. And I am really thankful.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatHappy Thanksgiving!