HomePrevious Website ChatUnisex Scarf in Highland Sport
Messages in this topic - RSS
11/15/2009 5:15:14 PM
55summit
55summit
Posts 3
I`ve finished about 20 inches of this scarf (just into my second ball) and I`m finding that the edges of the scarf are curling (despite the seed stitch band on each side). Also, this pattern is painfully slow to knit, at least for me, as each of the 14 rows in the pattern are different. Has anyone else experienced these problems? I am this close to ripping out. I guess I might carry on if I thought that the curling would be cured by blocking but I don`t think I`m loving the results enough to persevere.
11/15/2009 8:45:59 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
I just finished knitting one in Oak - good TV knitting. It curled while I knit, but flattened totally with blocking. I am very pleased with the results.

I would suggest you block what you have already knitted - thread a piece of yarn through the stitches, secure them and take them off the needles, or block directly on the needles, if you are using Denise or similar (I`ve done that!) . That way you`ll know for sure how it will behave in your yarn, before you rip out all that work.

Or, maybe better yet if you are not comfortable with my first suggestion, knit a swatch of a few pattern repeats and block to see what happens after it dries.

Hope this helps...
11/16/2009 8:29:35 AM
I totally agree with Marta! Blocking will make the world of difference with this yarn!

I just was playing around with HW sport yesterday, in fairisle, to see how my colours would play together and if the black would bleed when washed. My swatch turned out looking like a bread stick and I was concerned too.

The piece blocked out beautifully and the black didn`t bleed at all:-)

So don`t fret, it will be fine!
11/16/2009 2:58:20 PM
Thank you both for your very encouraging replies. I`ve almost decided to knit on. I`m also concerned about the scratchiness of this wool. It isn`t very pleasant next to the skin. I guess that`s a personal consideration but one that I need to think about. Still pondering .....
11/16/2009 9:28:00 PM
Good to hear the dark colours don`t bleed, cuz I just picked up several different colours to make the Doctor Who Scarf.

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
11/17/2009 7:50:42 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
I you don`t love knitting it, rip it out and knit something you do love knitting. Knitting should be a hobby, not a chore.
11/17/2009 1:40:15 PM
Thanks, Amy. You are so right. This is one of those projects that just isn`t happening for me and I`m already planning alternative uses for the wool. I feel better just having made that decision.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatUnisex Scarf in Highland Sport