HomePrevious Website ChatQuestion about Comfy Cowl.
Messages in this topic - RSS
11/12/2009 2:05:14 PM
I downloaded the pattern for the Comfy Cowl on Ravelry. I`ve pm`d the designer with this question, but she might, you know, have a life, (unlike myself) and have been busy with her job and therefore unable to answer in the last few hours, so I throw myself on yous guys mercy...

You use Lion Brand Thick and Quick or the Equivalent, and you cast on 25 stitches, which is as wide as the thing gets.

Now as far as I figure it, since the yarn supposedly knits up at 9 stitches to four inches, 25 stitches would be a tad under 12 inches, right?

Do any of you who have made cowls have a clue of wether this is sounding small to me only because I have a huge neck, or because maybe I should be casting on more??

I tried counting stitches in the picture - does 45 sound more realistic, or should I just lose a LOT of weight?

And if I used two strands of the bulky yarn from yesterday, would that work as a substitute yarn?

T
11/12/2009 3:08:06 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
OK, I just looked at the pattern, and much to my surprise it really is knitted over only 25 stitches and not from one end to the other. 25 is all there are. Huh?? Maybe a reason why there are only 5 projects?? And none with a picture.

T, I`d cast on and knit a few rows then test it around my neck. And yes, 45st sound much more realistic if this is supposed to go over the head. Most hats are written for a 19-22in head. Ergo, 12 inches unstretched are NOT, repeat NOT, going to work IMO.

This advice is worth every penny you`ve paid for it, T. ;)
11/12/2009 3:08:13 PM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1405
Count me in the big neck club. I just tried to wrap 12" of tape measure around my neck and nearly strangled myself. There`s no way that would look the same on me as it does on her. I also don`t think I could pull the thing over my hugemongous noggin.
11/12/2009 3:43:54 PM
The average persons neck is like 15 inches around.

You need some ease as not to choke! 45 stitches add up a whole lot better! :-)

I have to go and look at the pattern.
11/12/2009 3:57:57 PM
I found the pattern and she is out of her mind to think that this will slip over your head AND with it crossed over itself in the front! (Fake buttons on that cowl)

Maybe she meant 50 stitches.... there are 10 stitches doubled so 20 just in front.

Not worth the effort! Cast on enough stitches to easily fit around your neck. Knit 26 rows and cast off.

No wonder no one has really made it yet!
11/12/2009 3:59:24 PM
oops...cast on enough to overlap the edges 3 or 4 inches.
11/12/2009 5:37:30 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Have a look at Beech Wood at www.ilgaleja.com/free_pattern.html
The cowl is knitted in the round. To wear, overlap and pin with a shawl pin to fit your neck.
Really pretty knitted up and different from most cowls.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
11/12/2009 9:19:47 PM
The very nice designer has responded with the information that she had cast on 50 stitches - the 25 was a mistake, she had not realized it and has gone to fix it. She seemed a bit shocked that she had done this.

Well, that is a relief! It being 50 stitches, not 25, I mean... When he was an INFANT my oldest had a 13 inch neck, and mine is definately bigger than that...
11/12/2009 9:22:30 PM
Alice, it looks to me like she must have changed her free pattern, as the one up now is a pretty lace capelet that is not knitted in the round...

I will go look on Rav to see beech wood....

Thanks!

T
11/13/2009 10:50:34 AM
jeanflores
jeanflores
Posts 2658
Figured it had to be an error cause there`s no way. Glad she got back to you.

Peace,
Jean
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatQuestion about Comfy Cowl.