HomePrevious Website ChatAre mitts really worth it?
Messages in this topic - RSS
11/10/2009 10:27:28 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
I keep seeing beautiful patterns for fingerless mitts, and am tempted as relatively quick, and inexpensive present, but my FINGERS get cold. I can`t imagine that mitts would make the situation any better. My hands aren`t cold, just the fingers. Do any of you who live in the colder climes have experience actually using fingerless mitts? Are they worthwhile?
11/10/2009 10:42:07 AM
Only for driving, once the car warms up. Other than that I just can`t see the point of not having my fingers covered!!? Not practical at all in -40 weather!!

They are very pretty looking tho....
11/10/2009 11:10:57 AM
Lisa W
Lisa W
Posts 738
well, i live in alaska and my daughter wears them ALL the time. In addition, I made them for all my midwife colleagues for christmas last year and coordinated them with the inexpensive solid color thin gloves you find at target/wallyworld etc....and i see them worn almost daily...without gloves underneath in fall/spring, with the solid coordinating thin gloves in winter...your mileage may vary, but they are certainly a hit up here...my first reaction to them a couple years ago was `why bother`...but i`m pretty sold on them now...plus they are cute and fast ;0
11/10/2009 11:15:36 AM
I`m sure it doesn`t get as cold over here (San Francisco Bay Area), but I love wearing fingerless mitts around the house as it keeps me warm and I can still use my fingers to type on the computer, knit, etc. Someone told me that it`s all about covering the wrists, that you feel warmer when your wrists are warm. (and also that it works the other way around, keeping wrists cool will help you feel cooler on those really hot days)

Yes, fingerless mitts can be a quick knit. I`m currently making some Four Rib Braid Cable Mitts (http://smariek.blogspot.com/2008/12/cable-mitts.html) as gifts. It only uses a ball of Elann Highland Wool, and you can finish a pair in 2 nights.

And if you want a variation on the Four Rib Braid cable, using slightly different over/under cable crossings, take a look at last night`s blog post:
http://smariek.blogspot.com/2009/11/frb-cable-with-twist.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://smariek.blogspot.com/2009/11/frb-cable-with-twist.html

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
11/10/2009 11:18:09 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
I use them a lot. That being said, I would wear full mittens if I were skating or walking outside when it`s cold.
I use them mostly if I`m going somewhere in the car - we don`t have a garage!! The wrist part keeps you cozy (oddly enough, that seems to keep the fingers warm too)and I often have to rummage around in my purse for lip stuff or sunglasses or whatever while driving and these work out well. Great for after shopping when you have to find your keys. Those I`ve given them to who haven`t worn them before become converts!! Made a nice red pair for my niece and her co-worker kept stealing them, she said. LOL
11/10/2009 11:30:09 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
I`m not a fan of mitts, although I know I am in the minority and can see their upsides. All the girls in my knit group are hot for them in addition to other elannites. I wonder if one day I`ll want them and knit them.
11/10/2009 12:48:41 PM
I can tell you this - after spending a day at Rhinebeck in the damply chill this fall, I am DETERMINED to have a pair for next Rhinebeck (thereby guaranteeing it will be 80 degrees, but that is another story). I wanted my hands not only for feeling wool, but for picking up things and looking at them, finding money in my purse, etc.

I think Lisa has the right idea. You can make them to go under mittens or over gloves, if you want to. Some of them are very pretty and feminine and look like fun to wear at home. (That lace sleeve draping gracefully over the keyboard effect...) You can make them in any style at all...

I had a pair, lost one, and want another pair. I would say that for keeping warm alone, the kind that fit snugly around the thumb rather than just have a gap for the thumb are best.

Anyway, my two cents. YMMV! :-)
11/10/2009 9:43:26 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Daryl, I make both wool fingerless and Elann Esprit (cotton/elastic) ones. I wear the cotton/elastic for comfort while doing so much hand work, but rarely wool ones. However, I make lots and sale them at our Guild`s annual sale, which just finished. They say that the college kids love the fingerless mitts so they can keep their hands warm and still use their cells phones, etc. I live in Colorado when it`s often very cold. I`ve made and sold regular mittens for years.
Jamie
11/10/2009 10:48:21 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I think you need to do the flippie mittens. Then you can test drive the theory. ;-)
11/11/2009 8:37:59 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
Thanks all for your contributions. I hadn`t thought of pairing them with thin fingered gloves. I guess I will make some and try them out, but it sounds like there are enough people who find them worthwhile it they would be a reasonable present. I`m thinking they would be good for Lower School teachers who are on the playground, I just personally hate having my fingers cold.
11/11/2009 10:02:21 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Daryl, they are so easy and fun, plus the simpler ones only take 1 skein of yarn, that you`ll enjoy making them, and I think they will be very good teacher gifts. I made some for my knitting friends here in LA and they say they`re great for early morning and late evening.
11/11/2009 4:24:31 PM
jeanflores
jeanflores
Posts 2658
When we lived in cold weather climate and I had to go out to the bus stop with the boys... I loved mitts because I could still hold my coffee cup. Too slippery if my fingers were completely covered.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatAre mitts really worth it?