HomePrevious Website ChatWhat book would you pick?
Messages in this topic - RSS
10/27/2009 8:07:56 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
I just got my Vogue Knitting in the mail and there was a small article about a woman named Mary Taylor who has decided to knit every project in Nicky Epstein`s Knitting on Top of the World-50 projects. A la Juilia and Julie, she plans to begin knitting at Midnight Dec.31st. She is giving herself four years to complete all the projects and she plans to blog about the experience.

This made me think what book of patterns would I want to knit from front to back? My first thought was any one of the Sally Melville books, the knit stitch, the purl stitch or color knitting. What would you pick.
PatQOC
10/27/2009 9:44:37 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
I would pick the book "Custom Knits" by Wendy Bernard. I like 90% of the stuff in the book and if I dont like it, I can do as the title says and make it my own!
10/27/2009 9:47:37 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
That`s an interesting take. I don`t know.....
10/27/2009 10:30:19 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Arans and Celtics (XRX Books) or Aran Knitting (Alice Starmore). It would take me much longer than 4 years.

I don`t know why "I`m glad it`s not me" was my first reaction. I like to plan ahead and I like to set short and long term goals - but I would not want to do what she has done. Too much pressure, too much guilt, setting myself up to fail, too limiting? I don`t know - something about it doesn`t sit well with me. All power to her though!

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
10/27/2009 10:49:01 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
I would be totally predictable, thus no movie would be made from my story and knit from Knitter`s Almanac,except short of quitting my job and abandoning my family I could never finish the shawl or any of the sweaters in one month.
10/27/2009 11:38:27 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
I agree, Eileen, too obsessive or something.

I don`t think there`s any knitting pattern book that has more than a handful of patterns in it that I`d want to knit.
10/27/2009 3:29:14 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4496
Interesting topic, Pat! Especially since I can rarely find more than two or three projects that I want to do let alone all of them in pattern books.

But I agree with you if I had to choose, it`d be Sally Melville`s Knit Stitch or Purl Stitch. I think because the designs are simple, classic and amenable to yarn substitution. Also many of them are in men and children sizes, so you could vary who to knit for, and there are scarf and hat projects too. Maybe I will look into knitting something from these books this winter in fact!
10/27/2009 4:15:16 PM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
Very interesting topic, Pat. The first book that came to mind was "Custom Knits". It`s really got a great selection of projects and sizes. I`m with Libby on that one.
10/28/2009 5:01:33 AM
jeanflores
jeanflores
Posts 2658
For nostalgic reasons it would be one of EZ`s books. Probably Knitter`s Almanac. WHICH, by the way, reminds me! My mother found one of her books, SIGNED, at a book sale at a Senior Center a few months ago. Took a chance that I`d like it and bought it for $2! She was tickled that I was that floored about it.

Custom Knits is a more sensible pick for wearables for myself though.

Peace,
Jean
10/28/2009 7:12:51 AM
I`d also be tempted by Knitter`s Almanac... but of the Sally Mellville books, I would chose the one she wrote before she got started on the series - it was all about using up balls of yarn in all different colors and weights. Sally Melville Styles, I think is the name of it. It has very manageable intarsia, fair isle, garter and some weaving onto your knitting. Very liberating. I have never understood why that book is not considered a must-have classic- it even shows a sweater made of every disgusting color left in the sale bin, overdyed and lovely. I`d modify some of the shaping, and I`d certainly use my own colors, but I think those projects would hold my interest. Of course, E, I also have Arans and Celtics and that one has lots of projects I like too...

But Amy, let`s make it easy on us - why don`t we do one of the books of small projects? I have the latest Gift Knitting Book...

T
10/28/2009 8:57:15 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
I`m on the Custom knits boat too. Never even heard of the Sally Melville book using different colors, have to look out for that one. Ironic that I have yet to make anything from Custom knits, but I keep thinking, oh that is another one I could do for the girls from that book.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatWhat book would you pick?