10/23/2009 7:42:57 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I just saw the Pure Merino Nuance and felt that old familiar flutter in my heart.

I had to go to Ravelry right away and see some projects made with this - specifically the green, which I am eying.

Now I think that she did great work on this, wonderful knitting and finishing, and as a concept it is intriguing and with the right yarn it could be just stunning.

However, I don`t think I have ever seen a combination of yarn and pattern visually distort a body shape as much as this before. It`s actually really interesting to look at - I would just never wear it (and I don`t think anyone else should either).

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/jpsartre/strawberry-hill

I do love the yarn though.

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
10/23/2009 10:12:20 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
O. M. G. I thought the photo on the yarn page here was of a rather ugly sweater, but the Norah Gaughan sweater you`ve found is just amazingly awful. Ms Gaughan has some interesting ideas about knit design, but most of her patterns are, IMO, `just because I could do this`. What an awful use of a beautiful yarn!
10/23/2009 10:16:26 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Oh Dear! That`s an insult to the yarn and really should not appear in public. NG`s designs are fun to knit, but often just one motif rather than a whole herd of them is easier to wear.
That said, her hexagon scarf which starts with a large unit and works down to the smallest one is great. It curves so sits very neatly on a coat or sweater. The Merino Nuance would make a great one. Pattern is in her Knitting from Nature. Warning: it`s one of those patterns where you feel compelled to knit just one more unit before you go to bed.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
10/24/2009 1:45:25 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
ooof. Wow.

(shakes head)
10/24/2009 6:36:37 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Did I miss any colors in this yarn??
10/24/2009 8:49:16 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
That`s, umm, interesting. I looked at it knit in red solid yarn and it looked really pretty. But, I agree, it`s scary in the green Nuance. Eileen, I would love to get together with you and T and some pattern books for another "design critique session" like we had at MS&W. What a blast that was! :)

Benne
10/24/2009 9:52:23 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
I think you have to have a really boyish shape to pull it off - I looked at the other Rav projects of this and there was only one that did look really good.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/batilou/strawberry-hill

Otherwise it just seems so lumpy and bumpy that it can make even very attractive women look like they have extra breasts in weird places (and not in a good way).

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/shutterhoney/strawberry-hill

I was trying to be nice before, but I have to agree - it seems to have been designed for the sake of designing it and it would have been far better as an afghan. It just doesn`t seem to be a god idea for a sweater.

Benne - let`s call a spade a spade - we trashed a crapload of patterns, LOL! It was really fun though, I`d love to do it again!

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
10/24/2009 12:12:06 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
I just wince each time I look at the plate thing on the midriff because I know what it would look like on me who has not the flat midriff of these Ravelers! I agree with Benne that it looked pretty good in that deep rich red on the pattern model who I incidently remember reading is something like a size 4.
10/24/2009 1:02:45 PM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1405
Wince, Sandra. You and me both. I ran from that yarn after seeing that.
10/26/2009 8:24:14 AM
Benne, E - I am up for trashing patterns with you two anytime!!!!

T
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatNuance