10/19/2009 7:38:26 AM
Well, I have been in southern France; Bezier exactly for over a week and have found the yarn shops here wanting. I have been traveling around to Arles, Monpellier, Toulouse and it seems to be the same everywhere. The yarn shops here are mixed in with the sewing notions and embroidery with just a small section reserved for yarn. Mostly the yarn here is acrylic or an acrylic blend. It seems mostly grandmothers knitting for their grandchildren and not many younger women in the shops. However, most of these stores have buttons to knock your socks off. I had to induldge and buy some to take home.

I keep saying to my DH; we could open a yarn shop here and corner the market! Needless to say we are having a wonderful time eating our way through the country! Luckily we are walking everywhere, more than I have ever walked since my college/campus days and hopefully that will keep the weight off. If not, what a way to go! We`ll be home in two days and back at work next week. Hopefully I will have a couple of days to knit on projects before returning to work.
PatQOC
10/19/2009 9:10:29 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Pat, Sounds like lots of fun. Such interesting places to visit. I`ll take that part of France anyday over Paris! I remember a sentence in our French phonetic book about Arles. I emjoyed my brief visit to Montpelier years ago. Enjoy yourself!
Jamie
10/19/2009 9:45:47 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Sounds wonderful, Pat! Isn`t it funny that there are so few yarn places and none stand alone. I have this idea that France would be filled with lovely chi chi yarns and Phildar patterns and ideas.
Enjoy that food and drink!
10/19/2009 6:49:48 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Pat,
So glad you are having a good time! And buttons take so much less space than yarn :-).
I do wish the US was set up more for having to walk, such an easier way to keep in shape when it is incorporated into everyday life. Though I guess one can move to NYC for that, but not as beautiful as Southern France! I am salivating over your phrase "eating our way through the country". You will have to tell us what your favorite dishes were when you get back and have more time.
Sandra
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatFrench yarn shops