HomePrevious Website ChatHow does your stash compare to your age?
Messages in this topic - RSS
10/6/2009 11:15:08 AM
Hey folks...I counted up the number of sweaters I could knit for myself in winter-weight yarn... I got past 40. This does not include any of my summer yarns and probably does not include some of my winter yarns either... It is sort of one sweater`s worth for every year I`ve been alive, I think.

So if I am Perfectly in the middle of my life I can knit a winter sweater for moi every year till I die. Seriously. Of course my plan is to live forever, but just thinking about it...

This is just sweaters. Just sweaters that could fit you. No socks, no scarves, shawls, hats, bags, or anything like that, so...

In sweater yarn, how many years can you live if you knit a sweater a year and

Do you think if we have more yarn, we will live longer???

T
10/6/2009 11:16:19 AM
And does this mean if you send someone a sweater`s worth of yarn, you are wishing them a longer life???
T
10/6/2009 12:18:14 PM
I only have "sweater quantities" for about .... maybe 5 or 6 full sleeved fall/winter sweaters. (And I am working on knitting one right now so....- 1)

I have a lot more summer weights and 2 or 3 balls of this and that.

Does this mean I only have 5 or 6 years to live? Or do I have to start stashing more woolies in sweater amounts?
10/6/2009 12:47:01 PM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
So clever. I clearly need to buy more since I plan to live pretty close to forever and only have somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10. In the short term, maybe I`ll have a Wild and Wooly, Look Who`s 40 Party and parade around in them.
10/6/2009 1:13:30 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
A rough scan says I`ve got wool in DK, worsted and aran weights for at least 20 sweaters; some yarns I have in over 2000 yard quantities, and a long-sleeved cardi for me only takes about 1200yds.

So I`ll live a long time - I`ve got to meet the standard of my 100 year-old auntie and my 90-yo uncle!
10/6/2009 1:24:47 PM
I you don`t have a sweater`s worth of yarn for each year you expect/desire to keep living, I think that just means you have room to maneuver in your stash. But before you use up what you have, you have to buy more. That is, you can never go down to no stash because we don`t know WHAT might happen.

Yeah, that`s my story and I`m sticking to it.

T
10/6/2009 3:53:16 PM
i average knitting about 30 shawls and 25 scarves a year, I have enough yarn for 3-4 years I hope I live alot longer then that!
10/6/2009 5:44:05 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Apparently I am going to follow the Japanese model, because I have indulged in a LOT of bag sales lately!!!
10/6/2009 9:29:45 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4496
Ha, first impulse, I don`t want to think about it! And yes, without even checking I have more than enough for each year I can expect/desire to live!
10/7/2009 6:17:56 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
Now that sweaters for the girls take nearly as much yarn as those for myself, I think the three of us are going to live a very, very long time, in addition to what was purchased as sweater amounts for them, which will now have to wait for granddaughters. Of course, by the time I get to those caches i probably will have granddaughters the appropriate ages. What will really be pathetic is if those fictional children ALSO outgrow their allotted sweater amounts before I get those sweaters made..
10/7/2009 10:15:03 AM
I have never knitted a sweater before so don`t have a good feel for how much yarn I`d need to knit a small size sweater.

How many balls of Highland Wool would that equate to?

I`ve picked up "a few" bags worth of DK/worsted yarn here and there. If one bag isn`t enough for a sweater, and if we don`t care about mixing/(mis)matching yarns/colors, then yes, I have enough for quite a few sweaters! Surely at least 10 sweaters? Probably more. I`m guessing here. I`m assuming plain stockinette, no cables.

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
10/7/2009 10:30:29 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
For you?-I will assume 12-15 balls. ;-)
10/9/2009 6:16:06 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
Ah, but that is the beauty of the cropped sweater or the one with stockinette bodice and lacy body, a bag will do it for many people.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatHow does your stash compare to your age?