HomePrevious Website ChatElann pure peruvian alpaca wool
Messages in this topic - RSS
10/3/2009 5:21:14 AM
Maureen
Maureen
Posts 9
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has feedback on the 100% alpaca. I`m looking for a fairly soft wool for a cardigan ... aran weight ... in an eggplant colour. Never used 100% alpaca and am wondering how it knits up.
10/3/2009 6:20:53 AM
CathyDB
CathyDB
Posts 52
Alpaca is really really warm!!! In fact, sweaty warm!! I live in MN and it keeps me plenty toasty - maybe too toasty. I have never done a sweater in alpaca but I heard it doesn`t keep it`s shape very well. But I`m sure others who have used it for sweaters will give you better info on that.
10/3/2009 7:43:46 AM
This is such a gorgeous yarn to work with! I have yet to get a sweater quantity of it but for hats and scarves, it is wonderful. (Sweater quantity is on my Must Do list!)

These are the deepest of colours with a lovely sheen, too! The Eggplant is my favourite! If you live in a northern climate, I say go for it! You will never be cold:-)
10/3/2009 10:14:50 AM
i use it for large comfy shawls and I love it!!!
10/3/2009 1:37:43 PM
The alpaca definitely isn`t an aran weight - it`s listed as a worsted, but I don`t think I`d be alone in saying it`s somewhere between a worsted and a DK weight.

It`s very soft and luxurious, but doesn`t have the elasticity and body for cabling if you want that in the cardi. Textured stitches won`t be extremely crisp as there is a soft halo, and lace stitches are beautiful in it.

There are several shades in the Sierra Aran that are in that wine/purple family. It`s not as soft as pure alpaca, but I`d bet my life that it will wear better. The colours in that yarn are just gorgeous - you have to see the balls close up to appreciate the different shades in the plies.

Or you might be able to get Incense to work into an aran gauge, it`s pretty close.

Eileen.
10/3/2009 2:59:14 PM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
I made a sweater out of it and it is wonderful and warm all at the same time. Its a dream to knit with but I would use a needle that is not very slick...I would use a wood needle as the yarn is very silky. Eileen is right that it will not work very well for cables but its great for color work!
10/4/2009 6:08:31 AM
Maureen
Maureen
Posts 9
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! I am intending to do cables, so I will have to rethink the Alpaca. But it does sound wonderful, so I`ll have to keep it in mind for the next project.
10/4/2009 6:21:18 AM
Maureen
Maureen
Posts 9
The Incense does look gorgeous, but in fact, I am looking for something more purple at the moment. A very good friend gave me some fabulous purple buttons that I would like to showcase on a cardigan. So, thank you for turning me toward the Sierra Aran... the blackberry wine looks just right.
10/4/2009 12:09:20 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
I made a quick sweater for DH this spring using the Sierra Aran in the Fiddlehead Green color; working with it was a real pleasure. And the colors are saturated and complex, really lovely.
10/5/2009 7:28:06 AM
Maureen,

You said in your first post that you wanted something soft. I love Sierra Aran, but I would not call it soft.

Annie
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatElann pure peruvian alpaca wool