5/13/2008 5:40:30 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
It looks great! I love the effect of the cables with the stripes!

Libby
5/13/2008 7:05:11 AM
Sandra, I don`t know how I missed that! Every time I logged on I saw the pashmina from Les.

It looks great. How is it holding up? Do you remember which yarn you used?

Trish
5/13/2008 9:00:27 AM
Your mom knit this vest 20 years ago? It looks like it is still in pretty good shape. The cables still stand out in that yarn. I don`t usually think about striping/variegated yarns for cables (thinking the cables will get "lost" in all the coloring), I guess it depends on the yarn.

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
5/13/2008 7:30:06 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4496
Libby & Trish,
I wish I had knit this! I found it again when I was cleaning out DS#1`s drawer, he`d inherited it from his older cousin. My mom knit it and it just hit me that this was similar to the self-striping craze that was hot last year. Trish, I don`t know what yarn it is but I think acrylic, that is mostly what she knit with, but it is a very *nice* one, I would knit with it, really soft, non-fuzzy and apparently sturdy.

Marie, that is what I thought when I first got it and was into knitting traditional stuff. I had thought she switched colors or mixed dyelots (my mom did that with impunity!) but on closer examination it was all one yarn. It is really light in color and very graduating and subtle, more than appears in the photo, so the cables still are very defined.
5/14/2008 11:59:02 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
Sandra,

It is amazing how classic designs never go out of style. Cheers to your Mom.
PatQOC
9/30/2009 8:32:42 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
...is definitely something to look forward to wearing! Very pretty!

Marta

Is the weather already crisp over there? October was my favorite month in Michigan.
10/1/2009 4:18:27 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
It can`t go under something?

(sigh)

Go look your husband straight in the eye, and say I need to go someplace warm.

I tried that on DH this week when I finished my first mitten. I`ll let you know if it works!

Top looks great. Wasn`t that a tubular ribbon
10/1/2009 4:35:39 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Cute top, Sandra!
Definitely cannot go under a jacket. Must be worn on a vacation to warmer climes!
;-}
Les
10/1/2009 6:45:45 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
That didn`t make any sense-wasn`t this a ribbon with little spirals of color in it?
10/1/2009 7:44:23 AM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Cute top, Sandra. Looks comfy and will brighten any warmish day! We`re getting into fall here too but there are still a few short sleeve days. Enjoy your very pretty sweater!
Jamie
10/1/2009 9:07:06 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
That is so cute. Maybe you can wear it under a jacket for now.
10/1/2009 9:34:02 AM
oooh - what Amy said - or even a nice cardigan on top...

T
10/1/2009 1:29:26 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4496
Thanks, everyone!

Marta, it is getting colder here, last night it was down to 38 F, and DH had to scrape the windshield before taking son to school. I do enjoy October though, a refreshing crisp & coolness to it, as well as the fall colors!

I will experiment with layering this top as suggested. I think it is more the color is so vibrant I`d feel of out of place wearing it, kind of like white shoes after Labor day kind of thing. The colorway is called Fiesta, makes me think I need a tropical drink with umbrella to accompany it!
Will work on DH on trip when it gets to be the dead of winter here :-) Bets, you and I should do a locale exchange then, you can have my climate to wear your mittens and I will wear my Fiesta top down there, heh. The Bonita is a flat ribbon, reminds me of the gauzy bias tape used for hemming raw edges. It folds in half very easily which was my bane, I kept trying to unfold and flatten it out while knitting. The color changes were in blocks, you`d get a rectangle of lime then one of orange admidst the fushia. I liked the softened effect of the color changes in ribbon though, the boundaries weren`t as harsh as it would have been in non-ribbon yarn.
10/2/2009 4:04:24 AM
bri
bri
Posts 3164
That is a top destine for Florida. :) I hope you get to wear it somehow soon. If not, won`t it be nice to have it to look forward to in the spring?
10/2/2009 7:25:42 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Sandra,

The top is darling!!! I agree with everyone that it is definately a tropical wearing kind of top!!!
10/2/2009 5:50:03 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Sandra,

I love your top! Your stash-busting is always so successful. :)

Benne
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatSandra, your top