9/2/2009 8:26:50 AM
Are they hard to do? I`m an Intermediate Knitter but, haven`t attempted this pattern, yet. To tell the truth, I`m alittle scared of it. Any suggestions???
9/2/2009 9:17:53 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
You don`t mention the particular pattern you`re thinking about. If you don`t have a pattern in mind, as a first shawl pattern, I would highly recommend Kiri (http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf). This was my first lace shawl, and I found it easy to learn; after just a few repeats I didn`t even have to refer to the pattern for every row. Be sure to use a lifeline (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS8qzSaJnZA); it makes it very much easier to rip back if you have to, without losing more rows than you need.
9/2/2009 9:26:51 AM
Hello Lisa,

Lace knitting requires knitting stitches together and yarn overs. As an intermediate knitter, you should find this fairly easy to do, however you might try a swatch first to see if the stitch combination is one that you will enjoy.

Lorill
9/2/2009 9:48:04 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Kiri Shawl is a great project to start lace-knitting.
When you are looking at patterns, search for ones that are just purl (with maybe edge stitches) for the wrong-side rows. Not strictly purist, but gives you a little breather every other row with a chance to even up your stitches.
I use lots of markers - between every repeat for long ones and every second or third one for shorter ones - means you are only checking say 32 stitches instead of hundreds!Lace is fun - it grows organically as you knit.
Look at charts carefully, those which look complicated at first glance may not be, and those which appear deceptively simple may drive you crazy!

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/2/2009 9:52:56 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I absolutely recommend Kiri.
http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf
9/2/2009 10:29:30 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I think Shui Kuen Kozinski`s sun Ray Shawl and Luna Moth Shawl, offered in elann`s free patterns section, are two excellent shawls for beginning lace knitters. Both are beautiful, straightforward lace stitches that look great many different yarn weights.

You can knit lace, Lisa. It`s more a matter of keeping track of where you are in your stitches and rows, the knitting itself is knit, purl, yarn over, increases and decreases just like you find in other knitting.

A few things I learned the hard way:
1) always finish the row before you lay your knitting down
2) keep track of your rows with a counter or a piece of paper and pencil
3) count stitches at end of each row as beginning lace knitter - this goes for me with more complicated patterns, lace or not :)
4) use stitch markers to separate repeats and count number of stitches in each repeat after knitting it to make sure you didn`t forget a yarn over
5) use the right needles for your yarn, it might be easier to get used to lace knitting in a larger gauge yarn than a very fine, slippery laceweight
6) Have fun! Lace knitting is very addictive and for me, easier than socks :)

Good luck, we`ll help you if you hit a snag.

Benne
9/2/2009 7:03:18 PM
suzeeq
suzeeq
Posts 112
Just wanted to say, I`m a fairly experienced knitter and have knit lots of lace, but I found Sun Ray really difficult to keep my place in. The pattern repeat shifts and it wasn`t as intuitive as many other patterns. Luna Moth is great though.
9/2/2009 9:30:38 PM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I read posts on ravelry by beginning lace knitters who liked the Sun Ray as a first shawl. I think difficulty with a stitch pattern is very individual. I have had some of the simplest patterns absolutely throw me for a loop but I had no trouble when I swatched the stitch pattern on the Let There Be Dragons by Sharon Winsaur. Some lace knitters who were light years beyond me were having trouble with it and I tried to explain it to them. Totally shocked me that I got it. Our brains are funny things. :)

Benne
9/21/2009 4:38:16 AM
Is Lace knitting as hard as it looks? This is one technique that scares me to death to try. But, the patterns that I`ve seen here are GORGEOUS!!
9/21/2009 5:45:33 AM
My first lace project was the Leaf and Acorn Scarf in Elann Super Kydd. It reduced me to tears a few times but I got it done loved it.
9/21/2009 7:40:45 AM
Is is not so much hard, as it requires a certain amount of concentration. It is not generally automatic knitting you do while watching a soccar game or driving in a car, although I am sure someone out there can.

The only skill I`ve heard of that actually seems HARD are the nupps in Estonian knitting. For a while some of us here were using the word "nupps" as a sort of mild swear word...
9/21/2009 9:36:46 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
I`m a novice with knitting lace, and I`d recommend that you start off with a fingering weight yarn, such as Baby Cashmere or Baby Silk. Kiri (http://tinyurl.com/5tge5) is an excellent first lace shawl project. The Wavy Feathers Scarf (http://tinyurl.com/n4wfba) would be an easy first scarf; it has a purl stitch dividing the pattern sections, so it`s easy to find any errors.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatLacy Shawls