HomePrevious Website ChatLes, Baby Surprise tips?
Messages in this topic - RSS
9/9/2009 2:08:39 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Hi Les,
It`s been awhile since you did your EZ`s Baby Surprise jacket but I remember you offered to supplement EZ`s pithy instructions with your insights when I got ready to knit one. I`ll be working from the re-printed instructions in Knitters Magazine #56, Fall 1999 which may have some updates too, but if you have any tips, I`d really appreciate it! I`m posting here in case anyone else could benefit. Thanks!
Sandra
9/9/2009 3:58:23 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Hi Sandra - man, it`s been a while since I knit those BSJ. I will look for the pattern tonight and see if I wrote notes on it.
It is not hard to do, it`s just that the directions are often ambiguous. I found some docs I have on my computer which I`ll send to you by e-mail. There is also a yahoo knit along group you may want to sign up for which is supposed to have some good tips on it.
The link for the group is here
http://babysurprise0.tripod.com/index.html
What yarn are you going to use? It is such a cute pattern!
Les
9/9/2009 4:10:14 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Thanks, Les! I have some James C. Brett Marble DK stashed, same yarn that you made your beautiful ones out of.
9/9/2009 5:09:18 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I made one using the exact pattern (in 2000!). It worked out, but I was totally in the dark til the end.
9/9/2009 6:26:40 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Sandra, don`t even try to figure out how it goes together until you have finished the knitting. Then sit down at a table, with a glass of wine, and fold until it looks like a little person could wear it. For a cold climate baby, you may want to extend the sleeves - pick up stitches around the cuff and just knit longer in garter stitch - plain colour or stripes.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/9/2009 7:28:36 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Sandra - I didn`t write notes on my pattern that will be of any use. I don`t think I will be much help to you. Read the whole pattern. All of those things in italics. I found that there was info that I read too late. Maybe I`ll start another one and we can knit along together!!
9/9/2009 8:33:59 PM
I`m also planning one as soon as I finish the February Baby sweater. I did do one once years ago, but never sewed it together. However, I did fold it and it would have fit a baby.

My youngest got a LOT of use out of the one Jean made for him.

T
9/9/2009 8:36:36 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
Sandra I have the crib notes from the Yahoo group. I can send them to you. Not sure the group is still accepting applications.
I think the secret is to just trust Elizabeth. It sounds wacky, but it works.
When I made mine, I even traced the picture from the book and cut it out. I still couldn`t figure out how it went together. But all becomes clear in the end. Like those Mystery Knits.
PM me at Rav if you want the week by week plan.
suzann
9/9/2009 8:42:04 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
I made one two years ago, just following the instructions (very unlike-EZ advice, but what else can you do?...) and it turned out just darling. I got a very sweet thank you note, and know it got lots of wear. Just plunge in, Sandra! The water will be fine and safe. :)

Marta
9/9/2009 9:28:53 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
I think I was befuddled with the PM which to me means "place marker" which it seemed to mean in the first row but then it was meant to be "pass marker" and then it says to start moving the marker one st. over etc.......... But just go for it!!
Les
9/9/2009 9:42:37 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Thanks everyone :-), it is great to get the encouragement! I sat down tonight with two Knitter`s issues, the one with the Baby (Fall 1999) and the later Adult version (Fall 2000), and I think I get the main idea of it. It looks like for the adult version they add on to the sleeve length and the body length, necessary for proportion (I guess babies are more forgiving!) and do a few other nice touches...increased neckline drop, a picked-up garter button band with mitred corners and instead of a shoulder seam they pick up stitches from the back and the front and do a 3-needle BO on the public side for a ridged effect.
Alice, if I just leave the sleeve alone will it turn out to be about 3/4 length on a baby? I have no idea how long a baby`s arm is, so was planning on comparing the body width that I get with a standard baby size chart and see if the sleeve length I end up with is about right.
9/11/2009 9:31:55 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
A 3-6 month size usually has a sleeve length of about 5 inches. So if you leave the sleeve as-is, it`ll be about 3/4 length which may be just fine.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
9/11/2009 7:50:35 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Thanks, Alice!
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatLes, Baby Surprise tips?