9/7/2009 10:08:44 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Those of you on Facebook already know that my garden party shawl won the blue ribbon at the State Fair this year.

We went to the fair yesterday, and when looking around the exhibits, couldn`t find it! I was getting nervous and actually started counting blue ribbons in case they had made a mistake when they told me I had won.

We should have seen it, but we weren`t looking there - it was in a category by itself and was the first thing you saw as you entered the exhibit room. That was because also won the Joan L. Dobson Memorial prize for excellence in knitting - which is awarded to the top piece across all the knitting categories. So it was on display with all the other "bests" in sewing, quilting, woodwork, etc. I didn`t find out about it until I saw it yesterday. Don`t know how I`m going to top that -already on the lookout for new patterns that are as complicated as it gets!

There was something funny going on in the sweater category, though - which I wanted you to look at. I have no vested interest at all because I didn`t enter that category this year. But please go and look at my pics of the garden party Shawl in ravelry - I included pics of the State Fair there. Have a look at the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place sweaters (which I`ll take down in a couple of days), and tell me what you think.

I think that No2 was robbed.

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
9/7/2009 10:26:52 AM
ScullyKnits
ScullyKnits
Posts 2451
I agree with you. The neck for the first prize winner looks wonky. The cables on second prize are amazing. Looks like 2 is a heavier gauage than 1, wonder if that was the difference.

Congratulations on your shawl, it is georgeous and the color is perfect.
9/7/2009 11:54:00 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
Hope you are happy dancing still! That is a wonderful accomplishment, and well deserved.

I agree that #2 is much more beautiful than #1
9/7/2009 12:24:54 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Do you think there is an unwritten preference (or bad lighting in the judging area) that has the judges gravitate to lighter colors? Of course, we aren`t looking at the backs or seams, and if I was going to make a cabled knit, I would want it to be red!!!

WTG, E!!!
9/7/2009 2:57:43 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
Congratulations Eileen! It is fabulous. The pattern is so complex. I stand in awe of your knitting.
I don`t know what the pattern is for number 1, but it looks like the cables zig instead of zag half way down. The neck looks strange.
I did the same thing. Wandered around looking for my tatting. Till Dawn told me to look up. It was with the bests. I nearly fainted. Cause there was so much bobbin lace entered. Later someone told me they lost out to a stupid tatted dragon. I never said anything :-}
Don`t give it away. Eleven years later I still look at it, when I am feeling particular dim.

Suzann
9/7/2009 3:43:47 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
Eileen, Congratulations on the shawl! A well deserved honor for you! You`ll be well known before long!
Jamie
9/7/2009 4:57:05 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Congratulations, E!!! Your collection of (well deserve) ribbons/awards is getting awesome!
Now I have to go look at your pictures and feast my eyes...

Marta
9/7/2009 5:23:51 PM
Shui Kuen Kozinski
Shui Kuen Kozinski
Posts 13224
Beautiful!
9/8/2009 5:49:25 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Congratulations Eileen on your well deserved win! How cool is that!!
I looked at those sweaters and wondered if there was some "winner fixing" there! Did I detect some miss crossed cables on the front of the sweater of the winner? Man!
9/8/2009 6:26:03 AM
Daryl
Daryl
Posts 3079
Congratulations.
9/8/2009 10:45:07 AM
I can`t find the photos. Are they down already?
9/8/2009 10:57:07 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Here`s the link
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Boldilocks/garden-party
9/8/2009 12:17:57 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Congratulations, Eileen! Very fine piece of knitting in both gauge & excellence...I love that Irish Moss color too!

I dunno, the judging of the three sweaters just shows how subjective it is. It could include a rating of time spent(i.e., finer weight yarn) and traditional techniques used and not only which one is the prettiest, which I think would be the red one :-). My son`s English teachers usually give a grading rubric with each assignment so you know why you got a particular grade. Maybe the 1st place winner got extra points for saddle shoulder contruction, possibly an underarm gusset, and looking very much like a tradtional Gansey right down to the fine weight yarn, it looks like either sport weight or even fingering!
9/8/2009 12:41:37 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Sandra - the fine gauge was the only thing I could really see that would have set the #1 apart.

They are very strict with the judging *supposedly* - the breakdown is as follows:

Overall Effect - 20%
* design
* individuality
* colour combinations
* texture combinations
* cleanliness
* originality

Presentational Quality - 20%
* suitable for intended use
* appropriate in quality, size, colour, finish and design

Workmanship - 60%
* uniformity
* technique
* finishing

Where it might have gained for the saddle shoulders it should have lost for the neck. I just don`t see what put it over the edge - I don`t know, it was just very "blah".

It was strange - the way they were exhibited they even had #2 set in the middle up high so it was what your eye was drawn to - and the #1 was put to the side and back so you had to really look for it.

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
9/8/2009 4:45:29 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Eileen, thanks for posting the rules. I would have scored the red one high on "overall effect" but I see that is only 20%, ha! I think I remember reading something about Gansey collar bands stretching out easily because there is no curved shaping for the neckline that it fits into, maybe that`s why knitter #1`s looks a little off. Could be the competition was really close and that is reflected in how they displayed them.
9/8/2009 6:37:10 PM
Thanks for the link. Amazing work on the shawl; a well-deserved win! And as for the puzzle over judging, I just competed in our little rural fair, and am also scratching my head at some of the judges` decisions! I did get a first for my Valentine shawl, so I was happy about that.
9/9/2009 6:45:37 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
I knew it, I just knew it! Your knitting is so beautiful, you deserved that win, Eileen! I am so happy, you must be fair chuffed with that blue ribbon. :)

I would be proud to have knitted any of those sweaters and I think the color, traditional pattern and gauge really played a big part in the first place selection. The neck is a little off, wonder if the judges tried it on and stretched it out of shape??? ;)

XXOO to you for your well-deserved blue ribbon!

Benne
9/9/2009 11:16:55 AM
Shui Kuen Kozinski
Shui Kuen Kozinski
Posts 13224
Congratulations JJ! Show us your first prize shawl, please!
9/9/2009 11:51:31 AM
I haven`t posted here in ages, but have been around! Just wanted to say congrats on the shawl win. It is just gorgeous.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatNY State Fair