8/23/2009 5:30:27 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
A few weeks ago I bought some Addi Lace circs at a LYS and the coating on the brass needle has disappeared where it touches my hands on the shaft of the tip - not at the tapered point. I can smell the brass and the needle is not as slick. My needles have a blue cord.
Has anyone else had this problem? I have only used these needles for the 3/4 length sleeves of this project!
Les
8/23/2009 6:02:14 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
Les that is a bummer. I have read at Ravelry of people coating their Addi Lace needles with clear nail polish. I have a pair with the blue cord and the tip is all discolored. If I were you I would return them.
I think that Addi must have had problems with these new needles. The ones with the blue cord are new. Love the cord,not impressed with the brass needles.
If you want to read the Addi group at Ravelry it is
http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/addi-turbo/topics

Good luck
suzann
8/23/2009 6:47:56 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
The shafts on my Addi straights became all rough and tarnished - don`t know why. Happened to about 15 pairs. Someone at Addi asked me to mail them to him and he would replace them. I ended up not bothering because I was in the middle of moving and don`t use straights any more anyway.

I think the store should be fine taking them back - but I have the email contact at Addi if they give you a hard time.

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
8/23/2009 6:52:23 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Thanks for the link Suzann. I see I am not alone! It`s weird, I can even taste the brass despite watching that I don`t put my fingers in my mouth!! I will return them. Hope I can find my package or receipt. That was the only thing I bought that day at the LYS and I probably didn`t take a bag, just put them in my purse with the receipt.....haven`t noticed the packaging around so I hope the receipt is still in my purse!
8/23/2009 7:15:05 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
The brass smell is very strong. I don`t know why in the world they had to make the lace needles brass. So they are different then the regular needles? Who knows. I tried cleaning them with brass polish, catsup and lemon. The result was only temporary. I should have returned mine. But I no longer have either the receipt or the packaging. I had them hanging with my other needles till the brass smell started to do my head in. So they are sealed up in a zip bag. I guess I will have to chuck them. Charlie said he might be able to coat them with lacquer.
Suzann
8/24/2009 5:53:07 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Suzann, that was the problem i had - the needles were a few yaers old so I ddn;t have any receipts any longer. but they are still supposed to be guaranteed for life.

The person I was in contact with, who said they`d make an exception and replace them without a receipt was Rob Delmot, the director of sales and marketing - Rob@skacelknitting.com. The number is 1-800-255-1278. Maybe try seeing f they`ll work with you before throwing them out - I mean they know their own needles.

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
8/24/2009 6:04:56 AM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Ya, I wonder about the use of the brass too, especially since you have to put a protective coating on it which I am apparently able to dissolve with my sweat!! The different colour cord does differentiate them from the regular addis anyway. Must be a manufacture/cost thing.
8/24/2009 8:23:58 AM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
I had the same thing, Les...it was one of the early "batches" of the lace needles that had the problem. You can exchange them at just about any LYS, or send them directly to Skacel as someone suggested.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatNeedle problem!