HomePrevious Website ChatCBM we need the Sock Summit report!
Messages in this topic - RSS
8/14/2009 7:34:02 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
How was it? Want to hear all about it!
8/15/2009 11:00:20 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
LOL! I`ll try to keep this to a short post, but there were so many wonderful things that I`ll cherish.

I got books signed by Barbara Walker, Charlene Schurch, Cat Bordhi, Nancy Bush and Chrissie Gardiner. I managed not to stutter or faint as I introduced myself to them. I got into conversation with this great knitter who was winding yarn on a nostepinne; turned out she was Ann Budd.

I took a bind-off class from J. C. Briar and a class on fancy heel flaps from Charlene Schurch. Both of them were wonderful, though I couldn`t keep up with the fancy heel knitting. I was trying to knit more tightly and that slowed me down a lot. The very helpful knitter next to me finished the entire exercise and went back to her own sock in the time I managed to fumble through one repeat.

I had dinner with BARBARA WALKER and CHARLENE SCHURCH!! I was sitting in the bar of my hotel with another knitter, deciding where to go for dinner, when Barbara Walker came in and asked to join us. Then while we were still in shock, Charlene came in. We had conversation for nearly an hour. I managed not to spill food or drink on myself. I still can`t believe it happened.

I stayed over Monday so I could go to Powell`s, the biggest bookstore ever - it takes up a city block and half of it is 3 stories. Bibliophile nirvana! I sent a big, big box of books home.

It was fabulous, nearly overwhelming in a wonderful way, and incredibly well-organized. There were 935 of us who knitted for 15 minutes for the Guinness world record.

I only bought 12 skeins of yarn (4 in one color, not sock yarn).

OK, so this wasn`t very short, but y`all had to know, right? ;D
8/15/2009 11:03:30 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
I forgot to mention this: Barbara Walker invented (!) the SSK; before that, there was only slip,knit, psso. How amazing, incredible, awesome, etc. is that?
8/15/2009 1:44:36 PM
Les
Les
Posts 4244
Wow, you met up with the royalty! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
8/15/2009 3:45:13 PM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Barbara,

Completely awesome trip you had! AND you got to have dinner with royalty!! I`m determined to go one of these yrs..maybe after the girls are a bit bigger.
8/15/2009 3:57:50 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Wow, dinner with Barbara Walker and Charlene Schurch, that`d be something! Charlene`s book "Hats On" got me started on my knitting kick 10 years ago, and of course Barbara Walker is a towering figure in knitting with the top-down approach and stitch treasuries. I am amazed when I see the original editions of her books that have garments/items that she knitted for examples, among them wonderfully fitted ladies clothing, intricate cables, lacework and mosaic incorporated into, what I remember, capes, coats and even a lampshade. Was the conversation all knitting? From what I read, her scholarly pursuits before and after knitting are intriguing as well.

And Powell`s, would love to have visited that store. I bought online from them a used OOP knitting book that I thought I`d never get..."Knitting Around the World" (one of the Threads series) and it was truly in new book condition though advertised by them as only very good.

Glad you had a good time!
8/15/2009 4:50:02 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
The conversation covered a lot of ground: problems with book publishers, living in Florida (BW lives there year-round, and Charlene lives summers in Connecticut, winters in FL), and a little about BW`s books since the Treasuries - most in the area of mythology, symbolism and women`s studies.

My friend said very little, which is characteristic of her; I said a bit more, but mostly we listened to the two Knitting Goddesses. If you`d like to see what BW looks like, check the Yarn Harlot`s blog - she`s got a good picture of BW knitting on the YH`s sock.
8/15/2009 6:54:57 PM
suzann
suzann
Posts 2711
Oh Barbara what a wonderful adventure. I am so glad you had the chance to get up close and personal with the knitting greats. I consider both ladies Greats, both knitting and otherwise. Couldn`t have happened to a nicer person :-}

suzann
8/16/2009 9:00:25 AM
Barbara,
What fun you had! What a wonderful adventure to have dinner with Barbara Walker. You must have been in knitting Nirvana. I also have the desire to get my knitting books signed by the designer; it sounds like you had great luck in that department. Thanks for posting your experience.
PatQOC
8/16/2009 10:29:59 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
There was a book-signing event, otherwise I`d never have managed so many. They were all so gracious.
8/16/2009 10:40:09 AM
Your trip sounds amazing!!!

I`ve heard of Powell`s but have never gone there before. I don`t think anybody could drag me out of the store once I get there, so maybe not such a good idea for me.

How nice to meet and dine with knitting celebrities. WOW! I wouldn`t know what to say to them.

You really practiced restraint in the shopping dept. Good for you!

-Marie
http://smariek.blogspot.com
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatCBM we need the Sock Summit report!