HomePrevious Website ChatTrying to pick yarn for an HP February baby sweater...
Messages in this topic - RSS
8/13/2009 5:35:26 PM
Ok...

I have, as you all might guess, a few balls of yarn in the house...here and there... and I am trying to decided which yarn to use for a baby who can wear Gryffindor or Ravenclaw..(Dad is the first, mom the second...)

I have some nice Indie dyed sock yarn in a Gryff colorway, pretty soft.

I have knitpicks burgundy kettle dyed...also, I presume, soft.

I have a really nice Paton`s color that is male and Ravenclaw, but it is their new Kroy and I am wondering if it is too scratchy

I have Caron.Naturally Country in both Silver and Periwinkle blue

I have totally eliminated from the competition

1. Anything that does not wash in washer

2. Anything I have stored in a cupboard where I used Moth Balls

3. Anything that ISNT either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor, just to keep the range of choices from overwhelming me and making me cry...

I checked on Rav, and there were millions of sweaters, in just about every yarn except one spun from poison ivy stems, (Although I must admit I did not specifically check for that...) and nine tenths of the time no answer on how big it came out, or how much they used, or anything like that. Stick Out Tongue

T
8/13/2009 7:26:35 PM
Ok - heard from the lady on Rav who used the Kroy to make one - kid never wore it, it was kind of scratchy for a baby. One choice shot down...
8/13/2009 8:32:44 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
I made two recently enough to remember a few details: one in Diwa, which turned out perfect for my premature DGD, and another in Rowan Cashsoft that fitted a regular-sized 6-month-old for a while. Sorry I did not record measurements. I can e-mail you pictures if that might help, when I get a new computer in a few days (this one is working only half-heartedly and crashing again in very strange and dangerous ways, so my DH decided he is done spending time on it - and I don`t blame him!). Let me know.
8/13/2009 9:15:14 PM
I have just ordered yarn for a February Baby Sweater. I am using Lorna`s Laces Shepherd Sport which is machine washable and very soft. Don`t know if it comes in the right colours for you though.
8/14/2009 6:14:19 AM
How old is the baby? If it`s a baby under 2, I would go with the Knit Picks and not a supertight gauge. The garter stitch and lace are both stretchy enough to grow with a growing baby. The Caron is a worsted weight yarn, isn`t it? I think that would probably get you a sweater for a 3-4 year old. I used Gems Merino Fingering for a newborn about a year ago and produced a FBS that is still too big for her. My gauge is often a little loose, though.

Have fun!

Annie
8/14/2009 11:49:29 AM
Amy QOY
Amy QOY
Posts 3839
I love the February Baby Sweater I knitted. If you go Gryffindor, I would think about casting on and binding off (trimming) in the indie died sock and knitting in the KP kettle died. If you look at my ravelry project page you can see that I did this with a light and dark green and I really liked it. I think the Gryffendor would be really pretty with the Kettle Dyed as the main color. Although the lace is simple, it may fight a handpaint. The Caron color combo sounds pretty too.Do you know if it is a boy or girl?
8/14/2009 6:58:04 PM
Thanks, all of you...and the baby is a boy. I`ll go have a look at yours, Amy... I`d love to see pictures of what you did, Marta, but don`t drive yourself nuts...Computer trouble is right behind dental pain as one of the evils of the universe...
8/14/2009 6:58:24 PM
Thanks, all of you...and the baby is a boy. I`ll go have a look at yours, Amy... I`d love to see pictures of what you did, Marta, but don`t drive yourself nuts...Computer trouble is right behind dental pain as one of the evils of the universe...
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatTrying to pick yarn for an HP February baby sweater...