HomePrevious Website ChatLara Pinwheel Sweater
Messages in this topic - RSS
5/31/2007 10:20:08 AM
renocat
renocat
Posts 84
Anyone else making this? I started a couple of days ago. I did not make a gauge swatch, just cast on and started following the pattern using the recommended needles (US 7)

Well, I was getting 5 stitches to the inch instead of 5.5. I frogged it and started with size 6 needles. Now I am getting the correct gauge.

DId anyone have to go down a needle size for this? Not worried about it, just curious. I am a fairly tight knitter and usually have to go up a needle size to get gauge.

And, if anyone is thinking about starting this, casting on 8 stitches on DPN`s and trying to increase every stitch was just painful. I tossed the DPN`s and started with magic loop. Much easier and after 25 or so rows, I am almost ready to stop magic loop and just use the circular.
5/31/2007 10:56:11 AM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1405
I`m considering this but only after I finish up a few UFO`s. Thanks for the tip on the cast on. It`s a beautiful design. I`m looking forward to hearing more about it.
7/30/2007 11:50:34 AM
anne
anne
Posts 8
HELPPPP! I know I am surely missing a point in the instructions for the Lara Pinwheel Sweater. Where do you add the provisional cast-on? The right side needle or the left or neither? This is one GORGEOUS sweater pattern, but I am really confused. I can`t seem to get past this point in the pattern. Thanks for any help!!!! P.S. the Lara yarn is BEAUTIFUL!
7/30/2007 11:55:50 AM
acb
acb
Posts 1459
Hi Anne,
If you click the "search" button above, and type "pinwheel" into the message or subject criteria boxes, you`ll get a long list of posts on this subject - your post will show at the bottom of the list, as it`s the most recent, and just above it, there`s a reply from our customer service department to exactly your question.
7/30/2007 12:04:13 PM
renocat
renocat
Posts 84
Hi Anne, I struggled with this as well. What you need to do is cast them onto the right needle and then slip them to the left needle and then knit across the provisional stitches.

I ended up doing something different. I found instructions for a provisional longtail cast on. The working yarn was one half of the long tail and the waste yarn was the other. After I cast on the required stitches, I just continued knitting in the established pattern. I haven`t gotten to the sleeves yet, so I only hope that casting on in this manner will actually work when it is time to take out the provisional cast on and do the sleeves. :-)

Good Luck!
Kim
7/30/2007 12:31:07 PM
anne
anne
Posts 8
Thank you so much for the help! Now I don`t feel so inadequate. I see others have fought this battle also! I do understand where I am going from this point and again THANK YOU!!!!!
8/5/2007 11:25:04 AM
suzeeq
suzeeq
Posts 112
They`ve updated the instructions for the armholes. I like th old version better: using scrap yarn, knit over the stitches for the armhole, slip them back onto the left needle, and knit them again with the sweater yarn. This makes both a stitch holder and a provisional caston and you then take out the waste yarn and pick up the stitches to do the sleeves.

sue
8/30/2009 6:58:25 AM
Patricia
Patricia
Posts 1802
I`ve come up against a problem with the sleeves in the pattern. I sectioned off the 40 stitches like in the instructions. Then I used a provisional cast on to add 40 more. The problem is, I must have misinterpreted the instructions, because I went along to finish the body of the sweater in the established pattern, and now there doesn`t seen to be anyway to attach the provisional cast on stitches to the sweater, so the sleeve is only as wide as the original 40 stitches separated from the knitting. I`d appreciate any help. I looked for a section on errata, but didn`t find any, so I don`t know if it`s my fault, or the patterns. The pattern doesn`t tell me what to do with the provisionally cast on stitches.
8/30/2009 8:01:23 AM
Hello Patricia,

When knitting the Lara pinwheel sweater, after casting on the provisional stitches, you are meant to work these stitches into the body of your sweater so that there are 80 stitches total on holders for working the sleeve, and so that you can continue working in the round.

Unfortunately, I don`t believe there`s a simple way to correct this error, but I will discuss it with our other knitters on Monday to see if we might have a solution for you.
9/3/2009 5:41:48 PM
angelah
angelah
Posts 63
Patricia

have you been able to proceed with the sweater? If not, please email us at customerservice@elann.com

Angela
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatLara Pinwheel Sweater