6/10/2006 5:20:52 AM
Laurie
Laurie
Posts 71
Wonderful pattern.
What other color combos can we come up with?
I would love to make one, but I don`t do purple :)

Laurie
6/15/2006 6:49:54 AM
hi, We`re having a KAL for this pinwheel sweater over on the yahoo list EZasPi. I want to make the baby`s version for a friend`s not yet born 2nd child. I saw the photos posted on the side bar and I`m wondering if this sweater would be usable for a younger baby. This little guy will be born in Oct, so could use a sweater right away. By the time he`s 10 mos old, it will be hot here in Fresno and he`ll be wanting shorts and tank tops.

Also, are the 50gr skeins of each color used up, or are there leftovers? I`m kinda wondering if I can use partial balls I have left over from an earlier project.

I`ve been working on a Pi shawl from some ancient stash yarn - take a look - http://photos.sandeleh.com - in the "Other Knitting" album.

Sande
6/15/2006 6:13:40 PM
shelmack
shelmack
Posts 66
HI
For your little baby you could wrap the baby in it like a blanket and tie it with the sleeves. The sweater will fit the next year. For the 1st 3 colours you have lots of yarn left. Probably used 1/16th of a ball for the 1st colour, 1/8th for the second etc.
Shelley
6/20/2006 3:24:21 PM
Shelley, I have a question that I also posted to the KAL. I`m reading over the instructions on the baby pinwheel, and I`ve come to where the sleeve is joined. It says to continue the pattern until you have
18 stitches between increases. First you knit 18 stitches. Then it says to put 18 stitches on a holder, do 18 provisional cast on stitches, and then
work the next 18 stitches. So what about those increase stitches?
3/6/2007 8:00:27 PM
mandi
mandi
Posts 18
Has anyone made the pinwheel sweater with crochet edges that is featured in the free patterns on this site?
3/7/2007 10:15:18 AM
jimaryfrei@aol.com
jimaryfrei@aol.com
Posts 234
Hi, Mandi! I`m Mary and new to the site. I haven`t comleted the pinwheel sweater but I did start the one without the crocheted edges then ripped it out. Not because it wasn`t working, but because the rounds get larger and larger around and I got tired of that and didn`t much like the colors I`d chosen. I`ve looked a number of times at the pattern you mention and would make it, but I`m not a crocheter. Oh, I`ve done crochet and I can`t think the edges of this jacket are all that difficult, but I hesitated with I saw that I would need to make that edging. However, I`m willing to try. Would you like to make this one together? We could check with each other here now and then, rant, whine, exult...all those knitting things. Mary
3/7/2007 10:43:13 AM
jimaryfrei@aol.com
jimaryfrei@aol.com
Posts 234
I printed the pattern and the enlarged chart (which makes doing the crocheting look possible). I notice the guage is 22x24 on #8`s. Does Mister Joe really knit to this gauge, or is this the gauge in pattern? Are you going to make this in Mister Joe? If you are familiar with this yarn, please tell me about it - its usual gauge and needles would be a help, since I won`t order it but will use something from my stash. And how many yards is 8 balls of Mister Joe? Now all of a sudden I`m eager to start this sweater. I have "start-itis" these days. Thanks. Mary
3/8/2007 12:03:00 PM
Hello Mary,

Mister Joe Blanket is a Sport weight (24 st/4") yarn, however the pattern for the Pinwheel Sweater uses 5.0mm (US 8) needles for a gauge of 22 st/4". Blanket has 200 m (218 yards) per ball and the pattern calls for 8 balls, so you will need 1600 m (1744 yards) to make this sweater.

Lorill
6/14/2007 7:51:07 AM
I started the Pinwheel sweater from the free pattern section. I can usually figure out patterns, but I am stumped. Has anyone knitted that sweater? I cannot figure out what to do at the point where I break for sleeves. Where do the provisional cast on stitches go?
Anybody??? Thanks.
6/14/2007 10:14:31 AM
Hello Jacqueline,

When you get to the point in the Pinwheel Sweater where you will need to eventually knit the sleeves, slip the stitches that will be used for each of the sleeves to a stitch holder, then provisionally cast on the same number of stitches for the other half of the sleeve. Once these stitches are cast on, continue knitting in the round as you did before. The only difference now is that you will have a hole where each of the sleeves will be.

Once the body of the sweater is completed, you will pick up the stitches that are on the stitch holder, and the stitches that were provisionally cast on. These stitches will be used to make each of the sleeves.

With regards,
Lorill
6/14/2007 12:29:05 PM
Thank you very much. I had just about reached that conclusion. What confuses me is, the instructions for the provisional cast-on stitches say to put those stitches on the stitch holder. But that is not the case is it? I provisionally cast on the new stitches and work those stitches, correct? Also, why use a contrasting color? Won`t it show later? Jackie
6/14/2007 2:14:47 PM
Billie
Billie
Posts 2646
Hi Jackie,
I`m not doing the Pinwheel sweater (tempted, though!) but maybe this info will help you:

http://www.knittingatknoon.com/provisional.html

It`s what I`ve followed when doing PCO, and seems fairly clear...good luck!
6/24/2007 1:52:30 PM
suzeeq
suzeeq
Posts 112
They`ve changed the instructions. Originally, the directions were to knit the sleeve stitches with waste yarn, put them back on the left needle and knit the waste yarn stitches with the sweater yarn. Then when you`re ready for the sleeves, unpick the waste yarn and put the stitches on your needles. The waste yarn takes the place of both stitch holder and provisional cast on. I found those instructions much easier than what`s in the current version of the pattern. sue
10/17/2009 9:34:49 AM
Hello. I have a quick question. I am knitting the Pinwheel Sweater and am confused as to what to do. When it come to seperating for the sleeves it says:

Next Round: knit the first set of 18 stitches and the yo from the round before, place the second set of 18 stitches on a holder, join a new ball of yarn and cast on 18 stitches using a provisional cast on - see below for provisional cast on instructions (this will be the sleeve later), join yarn and continue knitting 4 more sets of 18 stitches plus the yo`s from the previous round, slip the next 18 stitches on a holder, join yarn and cast on 18 stitches using a provisional cast on, knit the last 18 stitches and yo from the previous round.
Here is where I am confused. After I slip the 18 stitches onto a stitch holder, and do the provisional cast on, I will have a yarn over on my needle. If I knit that yarn over, it will give me one more stitch than I need. Has anyone knit this sweater, and can someone tell me what to do?

Thank you
10/17/2009 11:31:46 AM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1406
This doesn`t answer your question, but I knit this ages ago and used the "afterthought heel" method to make the armhole openings because it seemed easier at the time. If you`re on Ravelry, there is a group called "pinwheel group" that talks exclusively about this project. I cut and pasted the directions for the opening exactly and it goes like this: At place for sleeve, drop main yarn. Pick up waste yarn. Knit for length of arm hole with waste yarn, turn work, Purl for length of arm hole with waste yarn. Drop waste yarn. Pick up Main yarn, and continue knitting until other sleeve hole, and repeat for other sleeve hole. Continue on with sweater, and do sleeves last. HTH.
10/17/2009 1:05:19 PM
Thank you. I`m fairly new at this and just am totally stumped. Do you know if there is a video showing what you wrote? I have never been more confused...lol I am on Ravelry. I know I saw a thread about the Pinwheel sweater, but not sure if it is the same one you are referring too.....
10/17/2009 4:09:55 PM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1406
I`m not sure whether there is a video, but let me try to explain it in a bit more detail. You`re at the point where you are ready to make the sleeve openings, right? Drop your working yarn and get a scrap length of yarn. Knit the next 18 stitches of your sweater using the waste yarn, turn your work and purl those 18 stitches back. Turn your work again and you will use your original working yarn to knit the sleeve stitches (waste yarn) and continue the round until you reach the other sleeve opening. The waste yarn is holding the stitches of your sleeve opening. When you`re done with the body of the sweater, you will unzip those stitches onto your circular needle and start knitting your sleeve in the round. Does that make sense? I hope I`m not confusing you more. I re-read the sleeve directions in the original pattern and couldn`t wrap my head around it. That`s probably why I found an alternate approach. LMK if you`re still having problems and I`ll do my best to help. I`m on Ravelry using the same name if you want to contact me there.
10/17/2009 4:12:44 PM
kellygirl
kellygirl
Posts 1406
Here`s a link to a blog that has pictures!!

http://knittingnoob.wordpress.com/2007/08/17/pinwheel-sweater-a-better-armhole/
10/18/2009 7:13:32 AM
I`ve read this before. I`m a real visual person. So I am hoping this will help me out. I have to do about two more increase rows before this, so I am hoping by then I will have read it and looked at it enough to figure it out. My name on Ravelry is Pastal. I usually use that all the time, but for some reason used my real name here....I will look for you there. Thanks for all your help
10/18/2009 8:08:54 AM
suzeeq
suzeeq
Posts 112
The original pattern used this method. I think it`s easier and better than the holder and CO method that`s in the pattern now. Don`t know why it was changed.
pages: 1 2
HomePrevious Website ChatPinwheel sweater