12/26/2006 1:13:13 PM
Anna Weaver
Anna Weaver
Posts 22
Any suggestions for knitting to gauge using Esprit yarn (with 1.7% elastic), i.e., how tight should I pull stitch? Am making the Esprit Chemo Turban. Gauge of rows is okay, but stitch gauge is about twice what it should be. If I pull stitch rather taut, will that affect the elasticity of the finished turban?
12/26/2006 4:25:24 PM
acb
acb
Posts 1459
Hi Anna,
Gauge isn`t hugely critical to the success of this project. I`d recommend swatching for a stretchy fabric you are pleased with, using a needle size that will produce the correct width of the piece for you. Then, if your row gauge is off, you may simply need to knit more or fewer rows to get your desired length.

I wouldn`t recommend pulling your stitches taut, simply because this might detract from your pleasure in knitting the yarn.
12/26/2006 5:04:52 PM
Anna Weaver
Anna Weaver
Posts 22
Thanks for the reply!
2/22/2007 12:27:39 PM
Anna Weaver
Anna Weaver
Posts 22
I have completed knitting the chemo turban, grafting the seam to form a loop, and seamed the 8" seam. My problem is that where the top fold and the 8" seam meet there is a peak or a point, i.e., the turban does not conform to the shape of the head. If anyone has made this turban, how did you correct or avoid that problem?
2/23/2007 4:39:25 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
I knitted one for my great-niece. It did have a bit of a point when I looked at it in front of me, but when I tried it on a friend`s head and she wiggled it around a bit to make it comfortable, the peak disappeared somewhere into the middle. I have not actually seen it on R, as it was a summer creation (red white and blue mix) and she was in total isolation then, and when released she was ready for the other hats I knitted from alpaca etc. Her mother and grandmother said the turban was much admired at the hospital and later at the cancer house - so I wouldn`t worry about it.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/24/2007 1:29:09 PM
Anna Weaver
Anna Weaver
Posts 22
Thank you very much. I did do a seam to follow the curvature of the head, which took out the peak. Not real satisfied with it, but I think it looks better than the "peak," at least on the one I did. Thanks again.
3/11/2007 6:59:34 PM
I am so frustrated. Any other suggestions? This is a great hat but the peak is ruining it.
7/19/2009 10:44:35 PM
There is no way I can get the 12 stitches per inch guage recommended by this yarn in this pattern. Any suggestions?
7/21/2009 9:08:02 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Don`t stretch the 2x2 ribbing at all. I`d suggest knitting a swatch 24 stitches wide and 4 - 6 inches long in 2x2 rib, then thread the live stitches onto a piece of scrap yarn, and let it sit quietly on a piece of plain paper for an hour or two. Now make a mark on each side of the swatch without moving or stretching it, remove the swatch and measure between your marks. Probably will be close to 2 inches. Ribbing is very forgiving, so close to gauge should be just fine.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/9/2010 8:23:44 AM
Could someone please explain to me how they got the gauge for the Esprit Chemo Turban. Pattern says 24 sts and 15 rows is 2" x 2". I have knit several swatches on various size needles (much smaller than the pattern calls for) and I am still nowhere close to gauge. The length of the piece is 40" - what should the relaxed width be?
I would appreciate any suggestions!
Thanks
Helen
2/9/2010 10:11:18 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
I chose a needle size which produced a good-looking fabric - not too loose and not too tight - and just went with it. Knitted according to the pattern and everything turned out fine. Sorry, I don`t remember the width and didn`t note it on the pattern.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
2/9/2010 12:17:27 PM
angelah
angelah
Posts 63
Hi Helen,

are you working your gauge swatch in the 4x4 ribbing pattern?

We found that if you work with the yarn lightly tensioned (neither stretched to its full length, nor completely relaxed) and work a generous swatch in both width and length you should be able to achieve the gauge. The Esprit is naturally very stretchy and once off the needles, it should draw in quite a bit.

Best wishes,
Angela
2/9/2010 1:05:49 PM
Hi Angela - I am working my swatch in the 4x4 ribbing pattern and I would describe the yarn as being "lightly tensioned". I currently get about 12 sts. to 2" - a long way from the 24 sts in 2" that is called for. Do you have any idea of the "relaxed" width of this project?
Thanks
Helen
2/9/2010 3:06:57 PM
acb
acb
Posts 1459
The relaxed width is 4", Helen, and with its loose gauge, it can stretch up to 10" wide.
2/9/2010 3:37:19 PM
Thanks. I really appreciate your help. I will keep working on it.

Helen
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatEsprit Chemo Turban