1/11/2005 5:02:59 AM
I have a friend who is starting to knit (I helped her out a little). She`s interested in the Highland Wool but is looking for a project. She was going to do the Sweatshirt from the Lion Brand Website but the gauge is wrong and she doesn`t want to use two strands. Any ideas on a good easy first project for her using HW?
1/11/2005 5:54:22 AM
If you have access to either of the knit series books by Sally Melville that might be a good start for a beginner.
1/11/2005 6:30:14 AM
Drat! No I don`t
1/11/2005 6:31:59 AM
Fran
Fran
Posts 351
Corinna...
My very first sweater (which I still have, tho doesn`t fit any more) was a seamless pullover made of worsted weight acrylic stitch by stitch from EZ`s Knitting w/o Tears...highly recommend!
Fran
1/11/2005 10:32:13 AM
bea
bea
Posts 624
How about a hat? (One colour or multiple colours....) It could get her started on decreasing and knitting in the round, it`s useful, and it`s relatively quick. And she wouldn`t have to do any purling if she didn`t want to.
1/11/2005 12:07:32 PM
Maybe a purse or bag. It was one of my first projects. And if she gets really rockin`, then you could felt! Bri
1/3/2006 10:37:40 AM
Before the holidays, I started making the IK Ballet Wrap Cardi from the Winter 2005 issue. I got confused with the directions for the shaping on the left front and ripped up a ton of knitting once I realized the mistakes. And, honestly, I was knitting really fast and not paying as close attention as I should`ve been.

I pulled everything out today, and I am still not sure how to make sense of things. I get all the stitch directions- no probs there. The main issue is that there is neck shaping and other shaping happening at the same time and I find it hard to follow. Should I write out row by row what needs to happen and then start the shaping again? Is there a less tedious way? Or am I reading it completely wrong?

Thanks, Bri
1/3/2006 11:28:02 AM
Libby
Libby
Posts 7209
Bri,

I`m sympathyzing with you. That happened to me as well and I`m thinking the best way to do it would be to draw it out on the graph paper. That helps me anyway.

Libby
1/3/2006 12:10:44 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
If I may toss this in, I recently used the Aire River Knitting fonts to make a chart of a pattern for a scarf. I found that it was rather easy to do using a table in MS Word. My chart didn`t work for what I was trying to do (reverse part of a stitch pattern), but it was a lovely chart IMHO.

The directions for how to install the font are a bit long, so if you`d like me to send them to you, email me. I`m at grdncats AT pacbell DOT net
1/3/2006 6:05:25 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Graph the decreases for both sides and just put in a squiggle for the centre stitches. Then use a post-it ABOVE the row you are knitting. Then you see the rows below which you have all ready knitted, on the graph and on the knitting.

Alice
Salt Spring Island
1/4/2006 9:34:21 AM
Thanks! I am off to find the graph paper and get started before school starts again. Bri
1/4/2006 9:58:39 AM
I usually devise some inefficient method for keeping track of multiple things going on by using post-it notes on the pattern - or making charts/boxes headed by the various sections, i.e. armhole decreases, rows, etc.
I was thinking the other day that someone should invent a two or three headed row counter for patterns like these - sort of like Medusa with 8 heads.
1/4/2006 11:55:29 AM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
>> someone should invent a two or three headed row counter <<
http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/070767.html

I have one of these and it worked really well while I was swatching for DH`s allover-cable vest. This is a Susan Bates item, so you should be able to find it at other places besides Knitting-Warehouse. This was just the first place I found it online today.
4/22/2006 5:13:38 PM
I`m tryng to knit the lacy Luna Endless Summer circular skirt. I follow the directions exactly and can`t seem to produce anything that remotely resembles the pattern. Maybe I`m knitting in the wrong direction or the yarn forward is actually yarn over. Any ideas?
4/23/2006 11:50:55 AM
Hi Vanessa,
Yes, yarn forward works exactly the same as yarn over: it is meant to increase one stitch. They are just different terms used in British and American patterns.

Briefly, this is how it works:
You have been knitting with the yarn held at the back of the right needle.
1. Bring yarn forward between needles.
2. Lay the yarn over right needle from front to back as you knit the next stitch as usual. Voila, there is an extra loop on your right needle.

Diane
4/23/2006 6:29:25 PM
I`ve also realized that I wasn`t knitting on the round. I was trying to get the right gauge but wasn`t doing it properly on a round.

But does this pattern call for a certain way of knitting (i.e. the "british way" instead of the "american way" -- i`ve heard there is a difference to both methods). I wasn`t sure if this makes a significant difference.

Also, I noticed that the waist on that skirt is 38" and a snug fit (when I measured with a measuring tape would be 40-41". How do I make my skirt fit me without being too tight?

Thanks for your help.
5/31/2006 6:14:18 AM
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if any of you nice ladies might know a of a free pattern worked from the top down that would have a hood. I know might seem like a strange request, but I have an idea for a sweater but need a basic top down hooded sweater pattern, if one exisits. Any advice or steering in the right direction would help.
5/31/2006 6:34:06 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Knitting Pure and Simple has one, Heather.

B
5/31/2006 7:11:57 AM
benne
benne
Posts 19258
Hi Heather,

Lionbrandyarn.com has a bunch of free patterns for hoodies, some sleeveless. I didn`t read the patterns to see if they are topdown. Good luck with your project. Also check out knittingpatterncentral.com and straw.com
Benne
1/11/2010 6:14:38 AM
patw
patw
Posts 2826
I have been pouring over my pattern collection to match my stash to patterns. I have found many of the patterns from the 80`s call for shoulder pads. I assume I need to adjust the pattern if I do not want to have shoulder pads. Does anyone here know how to do that?
Pat QOC
pages: 1 2
HomePrevious Website ChatPattern Help