10/3/2003 10:03:24 AM
I am reading through a Shoeller & Stahl aran sweater pattern & there are 3 things (so far) I don`t understand: (1) what does it mean to "work a long stitch" (2) how does one make increases while staying in pattern when doing cables and (3) when working even rows of a cable what do I do when I get to the rows where I made the cables - just pearl all stitches? If anyone could help me, I`d really appreciate it.
10/3/2003 3:15:26 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Hi Alison!

Working a long stitch sounds like it is a slip stitch to me, meaning that the pattern probably calls for you to slip the stitch purlwise (as if you were purling it) on a right-side row (I`m assumning it`s a knit stitch), and purling it on a wrong side row.

Increases usually come at either ends of the row, so the cable shouldn`t be affected. Make your increase on the 3rd stitch if you like to do it by knitting twice into the stitch, or on the horizontal bar between the 2nd and 3rd stitches if you like the picking up method. I prefer to pick up myself - if you do this, knit into the back of the bar you pick up, that way there will be no hole left. If your cable is right at the edge (maybe like a basket-weave or something), then just increase on the rows your are instructed to do so, keeping the pattern in stockinette stitch. Once you have increased enough to make another cable, you can pattern these stitches - then start again building up the increases until you have enough for another cable, etc.

Assuming you`re doing straight cables that don`t branch out or change in stitch width, then yes, on the rows that don`t actually call for you to use your cable needle, then you just knit across them on a right-side row, and purl across them on a wrong-side row.

Hope some of this helps - keep us posted on how it`s coming!

Eileen.

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
10/6/2003 11:36:12 AM
Thank you so much!!!!
3/17/2004 1:12:23 PM
I am trying to register and am unable to get a password accepted.
3/17/2004 9:26:52 PM
Jamie
Jamie
Posts 3462
You could try a different word or combination. I forgot what the limitations are, but I suggest that you try different things. Also try to e-mail key at the top of the home page. It will lead you to elann.com and they are quick to reply to your e-mail.
9/3/2005 8:42:16 PM
Patricia
Patricia
Posts 1802
I have 3 rows left on a triangle shawl made in finger weight yarn, a very pretty color called poppy. I would like to add an edge to it but I am not sure how to go about it. I have 325 stitches and I do not know how to pick an edge to accommadate the number of stitches that I have. Also don`t really have a pattern for an edge in mind. Does someone have a suggestion for me?
9/3/2005 9:57:15 PM
CatBookMom
CatBookMom
Posts 6264
You might like to look at this one. The pattern is written for Lion Brand Homespun, a very heavy yarn, and the picture is just about as unappealing as could be. But I`ve made the shawl in a DK weight and it still looks lovely. This is a crochet bind-off, and it gives the edge a pretty scalloped look, with no worries about binding off too tightly. It`s very simple: you pick up three stitches from your knitting needles with a crochet hook about the same gauge as your knitting needles. You make a crochet slip stitch to hold them together, then crochet 7 chain stitches. Then you pick up the next three stitches off your knitting needles. If the yarn doesn`t seem to hang quite right, you may want to try using the yarn doubled.

http://freeknittingpatterns.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-triangleShawl2.html
9/5/2005 7:16:05 AM
You could also put a sideways border on it - you cast on as many stitches as the border is wide, knit in towards the shawl, k2T the last border stitch and one stitch on the needle and then knit back out (Garter stitch) Orenburg shawls have the borders knitted in EXCEPT for the last side, which is done this way, so any instructions you have for an Orenburg shawl would tell you how to do this. What you just have to do is fgure out how many repeats you need. I am sure most edgings could be accomodated - you could easily loose 5 or 6 stitches over 300 in order to come out right at the end.

The border you put on my CW is gorgeous, though, and you already know how to do that one...
T
5/16/2006 5:02:30 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
I know there is a trick for avoiding "steps" when knitting stripes in the round. I know I have used it before, but for the life of me cannot figure it out now, or find a place where it is explained - I thought it was on the Lana Grossa site, but it is (no longer?) there.
Any ideas?...

Thanks in advance,

Marta
5/16/2006 5:19:16 PM
LisaB
LisaB
Posts 547
Marta I can`t look for this right now, but if you look on Knitty.com for a sock pattern featuring intarsia tulips, it links to a tutorial. Has something to do with knitting the stitch *underneath* the stitch you would knit at the beginning of I think the 2nd row of a new color...

LisaB
5/16/2006 5:23:21 PM
Marta
Marta
Posts 2140
Thanks, Lisa! I just found it, and here goes in case anyone else needs a refresher:

To minimize the jog where colors change when working stripes in-the-round, work one round with the new color, remove beginning-of-the-round marker, lift the previous color stitch below the next new-color stitch onto the left-hand needle; knit 2 stitches together (lifted stitch of previous color and first stitch of new color), replace the marker. The beginning of the round will move 1 stitch to the left at each color change.

Marta
1/27/2010 12:03:33 PM
donna c
donna c
Posts 6
I`m looking for 3-4 skeins of bernat fruit loop yarn... can anyone help?
1/28/2010 7:37:04 AM
Hello Donna,
May I suggest that you try our "Swap Center" to see if anyone has some available. For your convenience I have provided the link:
http://www.elann.com/swap/swaphome.asp

Best regards,
Maggie
2/1/2010 4:01:36 PM
I`m looking for 3-4 skeins (but I`ll buy as many as u have) of bernat fruit loops yarn... can anyone out there help?
2/1/2010 4:58:39 PM
Hi there!

I have searched the archives here at elann and no yarn called fruit loops. I also checked Ravelry and google and nothing.... Are you sure it`s a Bernat yarn? I even checked Bernat `s website and nothing....

Have you got the name right? Brand name right? Is it maybe a colourway and not a type of yarn?

I am confused! (Nothing new BTW!)
2/1/2010 5:14:46 PM
It is by Bernat`s and it`s called Fruit Loops... I found it about a year ago on ebay but it`s long gone now... the contact was in Canada so I don`t know if it was only distributed there or what... I`m just hoping someone somewhere has some stashed or left over from a bigger project...It`s gorgeous!
2/6/2010 11:46:40 PM
evelyn
evelyn
Posts 990
Donna, I buy from an e-bay person called Yarnela who carries lots of discontinued yarns but even she doesn`t have any. She is in North Toronto in one of the suburbs so she might very well be the one you ordered from last year. I tried hard for you but didn`t come up with any. I love a challenge like that.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatHelp!