HomePrevious Website ChatChristmas ideas-easy lace scarf????
Messages in this topic - RSS
7/4/2003 6:02:29 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Oh, what the heck, you know it`s coming any day now. I personally need an easy peasy pretty SIMPLE lace pattern for that lace-weight cashmere they had here about 6 months ago. I dyed with with Wilton colors, and need to find a stitch pattern that has about a 4 row repeat. Lace is kind of a pain because it`s slow going (because of the gauge) and I get distracted by quicker projects, then I come back and can`t remember where I`m at. I have 3 elderly aunts in Tokyo, and I`d like to make them all scarves.
7/5/2003 5:51:29 AM
Fran
Fran
Posts 351
Have I got the patterns for you! There are two I can just do mindlessly forever, and it makes the smaller needles and smaller yarn a little more tolerable: The first is the St. Seraphina scarf they showed with, I think, the Sonata yarn...It`s a modified shale, and I did it to pattern first, but think I`d like a no purl version better, which is easy to do, and probably almost any variation of the shale with a garter or seed border would do nicely; however, if you want lacy, may I suggest the Arches & Columns scarf on the Crystal Palace Yarns web site free patterns...I just started one, and after two pattern repeats (4 rows total, 2 all purl) I can pretty much "see" the pattern as I go. One of the nice things about both patterns is that they don`t need to be fringed to look finished (I hate fringing, both doing and trying to keep neat). I got quite a bit of that cashmere, myself, and haven`t tried it yet...but with the yardage per hank (770 as I recall) you could probably double it if you have enough and use a larger needle...or splurge and get a long tailed metallic eyelash to double it with...did that with Berrocco Mohair Heather and Metallica, and came out gorgeous!, but admittedly more expensive, :-(. Hope this helps, and let me know about the cashmere (how it handles, etc.), if you will.
Fran
7/5/2003 3:49:59 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Thanks Fran, I`m head over to the CP website! I had planned to do seasons-spring, fall and winter for the 3 aunts, and three different stitch patterns, but sat down to try one, and holy %#$^! is that little pattern hard to keep up with (It had about an 8 row repeat!) I just wanted something that could go to the doctor`s, or lunchtime at work, and live in my car; a port-a-project. The yarn itself was nice, but then again, I haven`t had much experience with lace, either.

I don`t think the aunts would even LIKE fringe, as they are all 60 and up, and would want something that looks classy. Besides the cashmere, I also have TONS of Opal sock yarn, so I think that would be good for all my hard-wearing family and friends.

I don`t remember the yardage on the yarn, I just remember it took FOREVER to wind in a ball!

Getting ready to hop over and check it out! Thanks-
Betsy
7/5/2003 4:19:19 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Hi-

i just got the pattern, ok, THAT looks do-able! I`m a little worried tho, because I bought the Natural Fantasy 100% cashmere, and the yardage was MUCH less. Only 350 yards per ball-I just looked it up. But they are petite women, and don`t NEED 60" scarves, right? (crossing my fingers!)

B
7/6/2003 10:41:25 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Hi Bets
I`ve just finished teaching a five day retreat on moebius scarves and lace.
Here`s SUPER-easy which the knitters liked a lot.
Using 6mm needles, cast on 32 stitches. Knit in Mock-Turkish Stitch until you have about 36 inches of yarn left, or you reach the length you want. Cast off loosely. Twist one end of the piece 180 degrees. Sew the ends together. The twist will make the piece into a moebius, which will drape elegantly around the shoulders. You`ll have plenty of yarn in one ball.
MOCK-TURKISH STITCH - K1, (YO, K2tog) to the last stitch, K1. Repeat for desired length. You can vary the pattern by knitting K2, (YO, K2tog) until 2 stitches remain on EVEN-numbered rows.
Very attractive, easy, and fast.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
7/7/2003 2:23:13 AM
Fran
Fran
Posts 351
Bets...
Update - I tried the Crystal Palace pattern this weekend with an intermittent short lash cotton yarn (Pebble Beach) and kept (clumsy me) losing the drift of the pattern on the last part of Row 2...so I simply adjusted to using the yo, K3tog, yo sections balanced with 5 stitch stockinette sections, and saving the K2tog, yo at the beginning and the yo, Slip1,K1, psso at the end. After 5 or 6 repeats like this, switched the yo, K3tog, yo to the center of the 5 stitch stockinettes, and moved stockinette over above the openwork, so it`s not too sloppy...BTW, I am using size 10 needles on the pattern rather than the 7...less yarn, faster to work, and still maintains the shape, plus is SUPER lacy...if your cashmere is superfine, this may not work but you can try an 8 or even a 9 to see if it works. So far, it looks like I`ll get 1/3 to 1/2 a scarf from the 135 yards on this ball. Also am itching to try Alice`s suggestion below (thanks, Alice)...never can have too many quick & easy so we have the patience for the tough stuff!
7/9/2003 9:54:10 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Hi-
Hey thanks Alice,
Can I use 6mm needles with lace weight? I may go down to 5s-I had tried U.S. 6s with this yarn, and I thought that was nice, but I`m a little hesitant about 6mm! Let me go dig out a pair of U.S. 8s. Can I just pick up the other side of stitches and knit them all up together instead of sewing? (I stink at that!)

Well, between your suggestion, and Fran`s 2, I may be ok!

Going away for the weekend, I think I have my lap project in order. Hope!
TTYL
Betsy
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatChristmas ideas-easy lace scarf????