6/29/2003 8:25:33 AM
carola
carola
Posts 55
Hi there,
I started this baby sweater from Knitter`s Magazine Summer 2003. It calls for Fortissima Colori 1000 (by Schoeller Esslinger). This is very fine weight yarn at 30 Stitches to 4 inches. I much prefer to work with a thicker yarn and was hoping I could substitute a thicker yarn, knowing that this would make the sweater larger too (as it is, the poor baby won`t fit into this 6 mos sweater as I can`t get the darn thing finished
My question is this:
I want to use this yarn I love, Winter Cotton, which is 15 stitches to 4 inches. Can I just go ahead and use this, or do I need to make special calculations for the number of stitches to cast on? I don`t want the sweater to be as small as the pattern calls, so if it comes out larger with this thicker wool, I"m ok, just as long as it is in proportion.
Thanks so much for your help.
Carola
6/29/2003 9:22:22 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Hi Carola
The sweater will come out TWICE as big in both directions. Fortissima is pretty dependable at 30st=4", whereas, the Winter Cotton will give you 30st=8", ie 20" circumference in the sock yarn will become 40" circumference.
What I would suggest is to draw out the shape in the finished size you want on paper - graph paper with 4 squares to the inch works relly well. Then measure your swatch carefully - stitches and rows - and plug these numbers into the schematic you have drawn. Write the cast-on numbers and increase numbers onto the schematic and away you go. Just remember that your squares are inches not stitches.
Alice
Salt Spring Island, Canada
6/29/2003 10:18:14 AM
carola
carola
Posts 55
Thank you, I shall try this.
I have the sweater halfway done in the Fortissima and find it much too thin for a sweater anyway. The picture in the magazine looked very different and thicker somehow.
Carola
6/30/2003 6:05:13 PM
I loved that sweater! I keep getting drawn back to that page, but I can`t imagine myself making a sweater with sock yarn, even if it is child-sized. I made a little rolled brim hat for my baby out of sockotta sock yarn (wool/cotton/acrylic) using size 3 needles and it just about killed me to finish it because it took so darn long.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatMexicali Baby Ole