6/23/2003 9:44:30 AM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
I`d like an opinion on this. I`m going to knit the "featured design" with Austermann Zoom (about 3rd down on the what`s new list). I ordered dark blue and light blue. The design color blocks the sweater vertically and I`m wondering if it would be more flattering if I did the colors horizontally, the bottom half of the sweater in dark blue and the top half in light blue. Any opinions on whether it will make any difference?
6/23/2003 11:29:23 AM
I have done several sweaters with "light at the top/dark at the bottom" or graduated from light to dark/top to bottom. I find it very flattering.
6/23/2003 6:35:58 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Actually, how are you built? If you are slender, go for hip to shoulder, dark to light. I have a thick tummy, and was gonna go vertical, because I do NOT need another ring around my middle! I`ll have the white part on my good-looking side! ;-) So it depends on you!
6/25/2003 8:26:00 AM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
Are you knitting the same sweater with the Zoom and the pattern that came with it. I`m curious what you think of it. I usually go for mercerized cotton or a blend that feels like it, so this is my first experience with a novelty yarn. I`m finding a big difference between my two colors. They look the same on the ball, but in knitting the dark blue is shinier, softer and smoother than the light blue. What colors are you using and what do you think?
6/25/2003 3:36:25 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Hi-

I prefer natural fibers, but every so often, I step off that platform. I`m using the black and white, on the 4 skein sweater, and I just swatched it, then went and wandered off on another project (wool and silk, if you want to know). In my case, I like the white, but the dark is kind of....hazy. I think that`s normal tho, I`ve used other yarns, commonly synthetics, where the white feels significantly different than the dyed versions. Chalk it up to the dye and the process.

So did you decide on a horizontal or a vertical split?

Being a cotton fan, did you try the varigated dk Elann cotton? I rather like it! I bought an ombre and a multi-color, and I like them!
Bets
6/25/2003 9:47:57 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Just a question about the wool and silk project - I`ve been tempted by silk blends before, but always end up not buying because it never looks very, er, "silky" - I mean lustre or smoothness. I don`t want to spend all that money to be the only one to know that a garment is silk! Tell me, is it more "silky" when you see and feel it in real life? And if so, how high does the silk content need to be percentage-wise?

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
6/26/2003 3:39:12 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Hi-

No. you are right-silk adds a cool crispy quality to yarn. Almost squeaky! If you read any fiber descriptions, tho, that`s what it will tell you about silk!

I`m using an 80% wool, 20% silk blend right now, and making a sweater for my husband. I found a good buy on a bunch of it on e-bay. I tried Noro`s Silk Country, which was also a good buy on e-bay that day, and I liked it (88%).

If you want it to look silky, tho, you are right, don`t buy silk. Rayon or polyamid will do the trick there.

I suggest you buy some to use in conjunction with another yarn-for stripes or intarsia, perhaps, and see what you think.

B
6/29/2003 10:38:43 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
I`ve gone with the vertical split. I considered vertical, horizontal, striped, and blocked and any other configuration I could think of. I sketched them out and showed my family and no two liked the same thing. So when in doubt, I went with the pattern. Interesting yarn: the look of it is growing on me, but I must say that the finished product is anything but soft. I`m wondering how it will wear and how it will be to move around in.
7/1/2003 8:21:39 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I think it will be like wearing a shower scrubbie! I hope I`m wrong!

B
7/2/2003 2:40:54 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
Indeed we shall be well exfoliated.
7/4/2003 3:14:32 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
Bets, I don`t know if you are checking in on our discussion of Austermann Zoom, but in case you are, it may interest you to know that I have finished the back. I was able to knit it several inches longer and a bit wider than the pattern (granted, I gave the back a deep v-neck and that will have saved some yarn requirement). From the first two balls, I had a small amount of light blue and a more generous amount of dark blue left over - go figure. The jury is still out on the texture, but it looks nice.
7/7/2003 5:58:52 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
So you do like the look of it? I`m kind of blah about it, having received my box of Lana Grossa Nicole, which I like the look of, but that rayon strand gets a little wiry! interested in knowing what it feels like on!

B
7/26/2003 5:06:03 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
I finished my Austermann Zoom shell and it is not bad. It isn`t as scratchy as I thought it would be. (Although my 5 year-old runs away screaming with glee/horror when I say I`m going to give her a hug and rub her face in my sweater). It is certainly not soft, but it is wearable and it looks okay. How is yours coming, Bets?
7/27/2003 6:29:02 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Mine is a non-project right now, Darla. I just finished a Cisne scarf for my cousin`s lil girl. Do you live in the south, and is it hot?

B
7/28/2003 4:58:41 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
I live in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. It has been about 35 celsius for the last few weeks (hot for us). We could use some rain to put out the fires and cool us down some. Regarding the Zoom, I`ve worn it in the heat and have been as comfortable as I would be in anything else. It has snagged a bit unfortunately.
7/28/2003 7:03:23 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Hi-

Do you like it? (Mine may end up as something else...like a tote bag or something) are you glad you made it?
B
7/29/2003 1:15:03 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
I do like mine, but honestly it would depend on how you feel about scratchy fabric. I have a high tolerance for such texture. I have one daughter who would be fine and another who wouldn`t be able to stand it for a minute. So that isn`t too helpful. On the plus side, it looks neat and I`ve had a few compliments. And hows that for an iffy answer.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatAustermann Zoom