HomePrevious Website ChatI`ve corraled my stash!!!!!!
Messages in this topic - RSS
6/22/2003 8:07:30 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
I`ve been doing the happy dance becuse I have my stash under control! Yesterday, when everyone else was out of the house (snide comments-who needs them?), I got my vacuum cleaner out and a few large space bags. It`s lovely to get yarn for 8 different projects into a package the size of a small standard pillow! These are really the business! You can see inside them, it`s easy to group by color/material/use, and if you run into a stray while you`re working thru your pile of bags, it`s no problem. I found that it`s better to use your fingers, then the slide closure, then your fingers again to ensure a tight seal; I also found it`s better to vacuum it once, let it sit for a while, then go back and vacuum more out! IF you have something sealed in plastic, punch a few holes in the bag to facilitate "squishing". If you have a chance, buy a sampler pack-they`re cheaper, and you can see if you like them. I really am an "outta sight, outta mind" type knitter, so I can SEE what I have, and then I won`t go overboard. Frankly, just sorting it lets me know that I need an elann vacation (except something I want comes up this week!) but in a few projects/weeks, I`ll be back on track. Gee, I have all this ROOM in my closet now! I realize that this might not be good for long term storage, but gee, I don`t have to wade thru a sea of bags anymore! Note: This won`t work for those yarns that come on styrofoam or cardboard cores, but I had plenty of skeins and balls that it worked GREAT for!
6/22/2003 8:44:12 AM
Fran
Fran
Posts 351
Hi Bets,
And congrats to you! I`ve just finished a week-long stint doing the same thing, only I reboxed EVERYTHING w/typed labels on the boxes as to yarn name & mfr., what type, what color, how much it cost, how many, needle size, how to clean, and fiber content. I admit I cheated a little bit, making up and labeling "project bags" for certain yarns that I want to do a certain way SOMEDAY (LOL) and one BIG box of "Odds & Ends" that may end up getting used for practice or charity projects. I JUST finished this epic work and am so pooped I can`t pop, too numb to hum, etc. (Was up `til 4 AM this morning at it!) Got it organized, now all I have to do it KNIT IT! (Yeah, right) before I go Elann-nuts again. I did order a subscription to the yarn sample deal, so maybe that`ll help me slow down to buy only what I really want, instead of guessing how it looks/handles.
Ain`t being organized great??? :-)
Happy Knitting...
Fran
6/22/2003 11:23:11 AM
Hi. I`ve had those bags forever and never thought about them for knitting. If you want to do a major "Throw away or give to an organization," any worthy charity (Good Will, Special Education groups) will gladly take them. It`s particularly nice watching "special" groups enjoy the yarn, knitting, etc. I just joined this group and I`m really going to
enjoy it. Now--anyone want to come to N.C. and clean up my stash? In all this heat, yet.
6/23/2003 6:24:53 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Still happy! I`ve done a lot of charity knitting, and I have to be honest, I don`t want to give my yarn up to Goodwill!

I HAD boxes for a long time, and therein lies the problem-you can`t see what`s in the boxes, and I am not that organized!

But I will volunteer to go to NC-my best buddy lives in Raleigh!

B
6/26/2003 3:10:37 PM
Hello Bets! I live in Durham (about 20 miles from Raleigh). This has absolutly nothing to do with knitting but did you know: Duke Basketball is better than N.C. State Univ. (in Raleigh). This area is so basketball-happy; everyone is into the game; armchair
coaches are all over and ready to discuss any game. Back to Knitting...my stash is bad too, and I`m too lazy to work on it. At least it`s almost organized; in one closet anyway. Have a good summer. M--
6/26/2003 3:10:39 PM
Hello Bets! I live in Durham (about 20 miles from Raleigh). This has absolutly nothing to do with knitting but did you know: Duke Basketball is better than N.C. State Univ. (in Raleigh). This area is so basketball-happy; everyone is into the game; armchair
coaches are all over and ready to discuss any game. Back to Knitting...my stash is bad too, and I`m too lazy to work on it. At least it`s almost organized; in one closet anyway. Have a good summer. M--
6/26/2003 7:16:00 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
My ex`s lil brother used to be the waterboy for-Duke, I think. In the `80s. One of those Ooooolllllld families from the area. Always scared I`m gonna run into an ex-relative in R/D

B
6/27/2003 9:07:01 AM
Hey Mary! Where in NC? I`m in Wilmington. Sorry, I`m not offering to organize your stash, you`d never find anything again! Mine is out in beautiful baskets, so that I my imagination is continually tweeked. Actually, the yarn that fits in the baskets is in them, and the rest is elsewhere. Best, Nancy
7/7/2003 5:48:32 AM
I recently joined thechat group and have really enjoyed it.. I loved reading about organizing your yarn.. my sisiter,who taught me to knit and sorry to say died several years ago.. I do miss her.. she lived on Cape Cod and we chatted weekly.. she`d often say to me oh oh oh I just redid my stored yarn.. and I`d reply, according ti weight or color this time, as she redid her stored yarn often.. I must admit so did I and I`m still doing it,, I have a 5 drawer bureau and this works well as it is out of sight and still readily avaiable.. aren` we knitters lucky to enjoy our [pastime so.. Polly
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatI`ve corraled my stash!!!!!!