HomePrevious Website ChatWinding those lovely skeins
Messages in this topic - RSS
6/16/2003 7:24:39 AM
Debbie
Debbie
Posts 70
To my fellow knitters I have a question. Does anyone have tips for winding skeins into balls? I suppose I really should break down and buy a yarn winder, but so far my 2 boys are somewhat willing to help me. They have told me that it is truly a painful experience. We actually end up falling out with each other about half way through, but by the end we are laughing (generally me, I get sadistic pleasure in watching the painful expressions. It is truly as bonding time for us !!

Seriously though, any tips would be appreciated.
6/16/2003 4:52:04 PM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Hi Debbie
One solution is to buy aswift and awool winder. An alternative is to learn to hold the skein with your knees. Sit with your feet up on a stool, the rungs of a chair in front of you, or the coffee table - just make bony knees. Put the skein firmly over your knees and start winding, holding your hands out over your knees. Move your hands in an orbital motion as you wind. As I am right-handed, I usually orbit clockwise, but I can wind in the other direction if the skein wants to go that way. For a single skein at a time, this is faster than getting out the swift and wool-winder.
CAUTION Do not let the skein slide off your knees, no matter what the boys do.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/17/2003 12:59:19 PM
Like Alice, I use my knees and wind CAREFULLY. I put the end in a pill bottle and wind the skein around it, that way I have a center-pull ball when I`m done.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatWinding those lovely skeins