6/15/2003 4:46:48 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Right now I just buy every knitting magazine I see in my local supermarket - these are FCEK, Knit `n` Style, and Knit It. AWasn`t that impressed by Knit It, and I liked the patterns in Knit `n` Style, but they seemed a bit stingy with their features/articles. Are there any other magazines that I should absolutely subscribe to??

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
6/15/2003 6:11:02 PM
I get Vogue Knitting. I really like it. Gorgeous stuff that I can actually wear (for the most part, there are glaring exceptions to that rule!) but not TOO challenging. I do this to relax not to pull my hair out. LOL I also subscribe to and enjoy FCEK and I LOVED both Knit it issues so far. That just goes to show how tastes vary. I have picked up many an issue of Knit n`Style, Interweave and Knitters mags at the newsstand and put them all right back down. They don`t do a thing for me. By far the biggest raves I hear from other knitters online is for Interweave so if you DON`T like what I DO like then you`ll probably love that one. ;-)
6/15/2003 6:39:49 PM
Darla
Darla
Posts 181
I subscribe to Vogue and FCEK. I also buy every other knitting magazine I see on a shelf, but I don`t subscribe to all of them. I have a bit of a problem with Interweave as they give their yarn info in wpi and that doesn`t help me at all. I had a similar problem with Knitters, but supposedly they are going to a new format and will be supplying more yarn info. I actually knit 3 items from the first Knit It! magazine. I wasn`t as struck with the second, but I`ll definitely buy another one.

About a year ago I sorted my "library" of knitting patterns. I filed the magazines by date and then I numbered them. Then I started at the beginning and noted the magazine number and page of any project I thought I might do someday or technical article I thought I might need. Now when I get a new magazine, I read it and then number it and note interesting projects or articles. (Now you know how the truly knitting obsessed live).
6/15/2003 10:35:37 PM
Sandra D
Sandra D
Posts 4497
Darla,
Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing with my knitting magazines when I got the time, probably never at the rate I`m going! I guess one thing that bothered me was not having an index for the technical articles; it is like sitting on a treasure trove of knitting techniques that might be used if one remembered one had it or where it was. The patterns that I may want to use in the future are just marked in the magazines with sticky book marks, but no concise list!
6/16/2003 7:39:33 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
My favourite by far is Knitter`s. Clear instructions, good size range, yarn information so that I can order a substitute with confidence from elann. (No yarn store here on the island) Projects are not as "high fashion" as Vogue, but not dowdy either. Lots of good articles. It`s published by XRX in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. XRX supports a large website www.knittinguniverse.com, which, in turn, sponsors KnitU, an on-line discussion group, Athena for help etc., and an on-line marketplace. David Xenakis, one of the X`s in XRX, takes his turn as "List Dad"; Rick Mondragon, the editor, answers his own phone; they all knit and can answer complicated questions. They are open for submissions - you don`t have to be a big name to be published!
Alice
Salt Spring Island
6/16/2003 9:51:21 PM
Unfortunately, the mags I like are quite pricey. Knitter`s is good. Rowan is by far my favorite. Lots of varied patterns by some of the best designers, and excellent photos and directions. There are even features on some of the more detailed knitting, like Fair Isle. Take a look at their website. If you join their international club you make out really well.
Next in line of favorites in Vogue Knitting. Again, varied styles, excellent photos and directions. A very balanced magazine.
6/17/2003 8:50:46 AM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Thanks Chaps for all your input! As I suspected, Vogue has come out more or less on top - I`ll subscribe ASAP! I`ll also look into the other publications you all mentioned! Thanks again! :-)

--
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the STARS!" (Oscar Wilde)
6/17/2003 1:18:08 PM
Hope I`m not too late. I`ve been on a yarn diet and you KNOW how bad Elann is for that! The knitting mag`s I subscribe to in order of preference: Knitter`s (my favorite and if I could only have one, that would be it) - I like the patterns, the articles, layout/technical aspects, variety; Interweave Knits - good inspiration, good articles, but a little out there for me; Vogue (but I just started, so I`m not used to it yet) - I thought it would be too trendy, but it isn`t; Cast On (TKGA publication) - lots of good technical articles and some solid inspiration; Knit `n Style - I find it a bit cheesy, but I`m surprised at how many ideas I get from it.

I tear out all of the pages that interest me and file them. One for sweaters-patterns, sweaters-idea, non-sweaters, technique, like that. I cut picutures out of catalogs, too. I just write on the page what interests me (stitch pattern, neckline, pattern as is, whatever).

Good luck with your choices!
6/18/2003 12:08:41 AM
I would like to suggest looking at www.amazon.com to compare out their knitting magazine subscription rates and any special deals (e.g. a subscription plus a book at a discounted price).
6/25/2003 5:52:01 PM
I am also a magazine lover - one of the best purchases I ever made was to buy a whole lot of all knitting magazines on ebay - I got 38 magazines - Knit n Style, Vogue, Easy Knitting, Knitters & Interweave Knits, Knitter`s Digest (all from 1999 - 2002)- for $47. I still go through them over and over again whenever I feel like a new project. You might want to check out ebay from time to time - go to crafts, then knitting, then type in "magazines". Good luck!
6/25/2003 9:41:53 PM
ecasey
ecasey
Posts 2668
Good idea - I mightn`t have necessarily thought of Ebay for magazines.

I`ve subscribed to Interweave and Vogue now - can`t wait to get my mags! Thanks for your recommendations chaps!

--
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatWhich Magazines?