5/20/2003 3:24:00 AM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
TAM, you might also try Wilton frosting colors. I dyed the heck outta some cashmere laceweight for scarves...fun fun fun! It`s hard to get good grownup colors out of Koolaid, so this will give more choices. I wet the yarn, apply dye, heat in the microwave for 3 min or so, then rinse all with vinegar water. (Let cool first!) Have fun!
5/20/2003 8:48:41 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Hi
You can paint the yarn with the Wilton colours, too. I produced the most amazing lopi in a magenta, lilac, royal blue blend. I dabbed the colour on with popsicle sticks, kneaded it through the yarn, to get many variations, then nuked it, rinsed well, and hung it up to dry. I kept stroking the skein for days, it was so fascinating.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
5/20/2003 9:26:10 AM
Wow! This sounds like fun. I`ll have to try it. Does this just work on protein based yarns too? What could I dye cotton with? I have a ton of cotton yarn that I`d love to dye.

Where do you get the Wilton color? I`ve seen their cake decorating stuff at Walmart. Do they have the icing color there too?
5/20/2003 8:13:13 PM
bets
bets
Posts 18978
Yes, just buy a kit of a couple of paste colors. They are STRONG, so water down the color unless you want something really strong. I haven`t tried cotton, so you might experiment with an old sock.
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website Chatmore dying to dye!