5/19/2003 10:10:14 PM
I AM JUST BEGINNING TO KNIT AND I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT NEEDLES ORDERING WOOL AND GAUGE. I WANT TO START MAKING A SCARF AND WANT TO USE GOOD YARN THAT IS SOFT. I DO KNOW THE COLOR , IT IS WINTER WHITE,WHICH IS OFF WHITE. HOW MUCH YARN MUST I PURCHASE AND WHAT NEEDLES SHOULD I ORDER WITH THE YARN, I WISH TO MAKE A HAT ALSO OUT OF THE SAME YARN AFTER I MASTERED THE SCARF. I WANT IT TO BE ON THE HEAVY SIDE. AND A WARM HAT BUT COMFORTABLE. CAN YOU HELP ME . THANKS
5/21/2003 8:58:43 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Hi
You can find what you need to know on the elann site. Go to SEARCH, click on 100% superwash wool and off-white. This will lead you to:
Schoeller Stahl Schnellstrick Granda Closeouts

The description will tell you that this yarn will knit to 16 stitches to 4 inches on 6mm needles with 82 yards per 50g ball. The needles you can order from elann by clicking on Needles and Hooks under Products on the top left of your screen.
For a generous scarf 10" x 56" you would need 4 balls of yarn for a knit/purl pattern, another 2 will make a hat. If you want all garter stitch (knit every row), order 6 for the scarf and 3 for the hat.
For the scarf, cast on 40 stitches (4 stitches per inch x 10 inches) and keep knitting in your pattern until you have about a yard of yarn left, then cast off. This will make you a very cosy scarf which you can wrap twice around your neck, or have long ends hanging down.

To be absolutely accurate about the amount of yarn, knit a 4 inch square - cast on 16 stitches, knit about 24 rows (32 for garter stitch), then pull it out and measure the yarn you used. Divide this number by 16 (4"x4" and you will get the amount you need for each square inch of knitting. If you want 10"x56", multiply the amount for one square inch by 560. Remember to divide by 36 to get yards. That junior school arithmetic really has a use!

Alice
Salt Spring Island

Fibre Content: 100% Superwash Wool
Made In: Italy
Care: Machine Wash Gentle/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 16 st/4 inches on 6 mm (US 10)
Yardage: 75 m (82 yds)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball

Schoeller Stahl Schnellstrick Granda Closeouts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fibre Content: 100% Superwash Wool
Made In: Italy
Care: Machine Wash Gentle/ Dry Flat
Gauge: 16 st/4 inches on 6 mm (US 10)
Yardage: 75 m (82 yds)
Size: 50g (1.75 oz) ball
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website Chatyarn and needles