5/5/2003 8:59:52 AM
I am a beginner knitter trying out the Schachenmayr Safari Pullover free pattern and the chart calls for an "edge" stitch. Can anyone tell me what that means? Thanks in advance.
5/5/2003 9:24:56 AM
Good question! I`m probably "advanced beginner" to "intermediate" and I wouldn`t even attempt this pattern right now! I just read it and it confused the heck out of me. I have no idea what those "edge stitches" are but just wanted to let you know someone else shares your confusion. LOL The sleeveless safari pattern above the pullover pattern looks even more confusing to me. I`m easily confused, tho, I have to admit. :-p
5/5/2003 1:15:44 PM
Hi Donna-
I *think* the edge stitch is a selvage stitch - but it isn`t very clear. In order to work a selvage stitch you will slip the first stitch of every row purlwise (On a knit row this means you sl the first st purlwise with yarn in front then move the yarn to the back and continue with your row) and knit the last stitch of every row. So for your pattern I think it should work as follows: You will sl. the first stitch then work the 6 stitch pattern over and over (either 20 or 21 times according to your pattern) until you get to the end of the row...I think (if my math and the pattern are correct) you should end up with 2 stitches after your last 6 stitch repeat. If so you will work the second to last st according to your chart and then knit the last for the selvage edge.
Hope the works and makes sense!
5/6/2003 6:07:15 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so clearly.
5/6/2003 7:58:18 AM
Thanks from me too. I`m sure I`ll come across this eventually. Now I`ll know what it means! You are the font of all knowledge around here.
5/7/2003 7:26:20 AM
Alice Trueman
Alice Trueman
Posts 1784
Hi Donna

An `edge stitch` is a plain stitch on each side before and beyond the pattern stitches, so that it is easier to sew up the seams neatly. These are the stitches you are going to use for your seams. To get a good, firm edge that is easy to sew, I knit the edge stitches on the right side and purl them on the wrong side. I find that this makes for a more even and less visible seam than slipping the first stitch. To sew up, use mattress stitch, or back stitch working between the edge stitch and the first stitch of the pattern. When finished, this gives you pattern stitch against pattern stitch, so the seam hardly shows at all. You must incorporate all the edge stitch into the seam; do NOT just whip together the edge stitches. Sew with the right side facing you, so that you can see what you are doing.
If you are knitting in the round, eliminate the edge stitches, because you won`t have seams.
This pattern won`t be too difficult if you take it one step at a time. Keep looking at what you are doing, read your knitting, and you`ll be fine.
Alice
Salt Spring Island
pages: 1
HomePrevious Website ChatEdge Stitch?